• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fresh/salt water weighting....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alun

Oct 5, 2001
i've only ever really dived in fresh water, and i may be going away in a couple of weeks to dive in the sea. but i'm not sure about my weighting....

the water will be around 13-14oC. in that sort of temperature i will probably wear a 5mm top and probably 3mm bottoms (maybe 5mm). wearing that in fresh water i would wear a 0.75kg or 1.0kg neckweight depending on the bottoms. i'm guessing about 1.5kg-2kg?? i'll be taking a single neckweight with me, so i want to make sure i take the right amount of weight.

how much should i wear to achieve the same sort of buoyancy in salt water? do you add the same amount of weight regardless of your suit thickness?

alun

I think you're going to need alot more in the sea than in a lake.

The rule of thumb they use here is 1kg per mm of suit thickness, but I think it depends on the individual's body.

Without a suit or weights I basically sink, so 5kg is too much. I found 4 to be just right.

Take a kilo too much and ditch it once you get there. It's no fun being too boyant.

Al

Saltwater has about 10-15% more boyancy than freshwater (dead sea not included) but the amount of salt (and therefore water density) varies with the seasons and from place to place.

I have a 5mm lined suit and I dive with 8-9kg of lead around my waist. That gets me neutral at 5-6m.

ballast

I've been working on this for a long time. It gets complicated. If you go from 15C distilled water to 15C average salt water, you need to add 4% of your total weight. If I go from the pool to the ocean, 1% is closer. Salt water density in Hawaii changes with run off and some places (the Med?) are saltier. There are no lakes around here to check but temperature is a big factor. Density changes about 1%/3C.
I like Al's idea about the extra kilo. Too many variables. Will you do the same kind of diving?
Aloha
Bill

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT