• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Freshwater" spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

domine

Apr 23, 2003
Hello again,

Just though about this...does anyone do spearfishing as far as freshwater is concerned? I have tried it a few times in the clearwater lakes in Arkansas but didn't have much luck. I was wondering if anyone could make any suggestions as to techniques. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for your input!

Robert Brantley
mcgoo_rb@hotmail.com

you might want to ask your local fishermen what kind of fish can be found...try asking tackle shops, they usually kow the lakes inside out, since most of them fish with half of the stuff that they are supposed to sell:D but i wouldnt expect them to know the contoour...you might wanna go out with a boat and equip it with an echosounder....

from person experience i can tell you that big bass like to hang out around water lilies and more other objects which could best be described as JUNK....

good luck

Being more than 1000 miles away from anything salty, I've mad due with the freshy spearing for nearly 4 years now.

Here's what ya need to kill things in fresh water.

1. Short gun (stock should be less than 80 cm). The fish don't get big enough, and the vis is rarely ever good enough to warrant much bigger.

2. Get a license. Most states' normal fishing license covers spearing in lakes, but there will probably be added restrictions so pay attention or the wardens will take away your gear.

3. Log on to the Department of Natural Resources (or your state's counterpart) and search for Bathymetry maps of the lake you're targeting. Pay attention to the vegetation symbols on the map (especially in the 10-25 feet zone)....that's where the fishies be hidin'.

4. Weight yourself heavy. Lying on the bottom is one of the best ways to hunt in fresh water. Since vis is usually not very good, stalking is difficult. It's better to save your O2. Find a hot spot, and just lie on the bottom and wait for them to come to you. They will.

5. Don't let any nearby fisherman see all the fish your killin. It pisses them off (especially if they aren't catching em), and some aren't the most....er.....stable of fellas, if you get my meaning. I've had some yokels buzz to within 10 feet of my float to 'prove a point'. Hearing that loud 'ticka ticka ticka' of a boat prop over your head is not anywhere you want to be. Better to attach your stringer to your float and never bring a fish out of the water.

6. Bring a buddy :); even if they do nothing more than snorkel while you hunt. Once they see all the fun you're having, they'll have a gun by the next time you go ;).

That should get started. Have fun and be safe.

Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: podge
4. Weight yourself heavy. Lying on the bottom is one of the best ways to hunt in fresh water. Since vis is usually not very good, stalking is difficult. It's better to save your O2.

This has been the most important thing that Ted has taught me when it comes to spearing. I was a freediver turned spearo and was always weighted WAY too light for any kind of hunting. Since I added some extra lead to my belt I can just lay on the bottom and let dinner come to me.

For regular freediving I take it back off.

Jon

I'm a novice spearo and just started fishing here in Az. Overall we have damn clear water here in my local lake and its loaded with carp and stripers. Thanks for the tips and info these forums are helping me connect with spearos all over the place. I'm not close to the ocean about a 8 hour drive but I love it here in the freshwater and Im trying to increase the exposure freshwater spearfishing has to offer in my area. I hit up the local shops and posted an ad for local spearos, all my buddies are getting the itch to go with me after diving the first time just a matter of time before we have a spearo crew. Thanks for the info and tips. See you in the water!

Hello again,

Just though about this...does anyone do spearfishing as far as freshwater is concerned? I have tried it a few times in the clearwater lakes in Arkansas but didn't have much luck. I was wondering if anyone could make any suggestions as to techniques. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for your input!

Robert Brantley
mcgoo_rb@hotmail.com

Just curious, what Arkansas lakes have you fished? I more or less grew up in the Ozarks. It is beautiful country and while I wouldn't trade the ocean for anything the rivers and lakes there were unforgetable. As a kid we used to hear stories of monster catfish in the deep water at beaver dam that only the navy divers had seen. I read recently that a guy had speared a record bass in Arkansas. He wasn't a local; I think he was just a dedicated freshwater spearo.

I live in Wisconsin and I am going after pan fish with a pole spear what tip would you recommend?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT