• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Frog Leg Thread

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
Gigging is not really the best way to capture bullfrogs for eating, a spot light and bare hands is better so this really isn't about a spearing recipe. However, we include lobsters and scallops in our catch so I see no reason why this delectable fresh water morsel shouldn't be included.

C'mon, guys, I know how I cook 'em. What do you do?

That's it Sarge, I definitely need a very slow, long AMerican holiday. I would love to come and do this with you!!!

Let me know when! While California has bullfrogs the real place to go froggin' is the Southeast. East Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, anywhere there are bayous. There's even a company in Texas that will take you out froggin' and then make you a pair of cowboy boots out of the skin. I never knew that was possible . . .

Bullfrog Cowboy Boots? My life would be complete!!

What is eating frog like??

Reactions: Mr. X
Frog legs are white meat that tastes sort of like a chicken whose mama had an affair with a trout. Sautéed in butter and topped with a white wine sauce and chopped parsley they are superb. For years they were something you could only get in rarefied restaurants but Asians love them as much a Southerners and my local Chinese market is stocking them in the frozen food section. I need to go there tomorrow, anyway . . .

This is the place that makes the boots:

http://www.meyerscustomproducts.com/_images/PriceList1.pdf

And they look like this.

imagesqtbnANd9GcSk2w4tfOjiRO02tvZIzCOz5LjL4NrKF5E2QYlAT3_A0VILtaJXXw.jpg

Notice the warts on the toe . . .

In the Philippines, frogs are caught with a bamboo pole, a length of fishing line and some sort of lure resembling insects or butterfly at the business end. Is this what you mean by gigging? Another way is when the rice field is being tilled - usually by a tractor - and one stays behind the machine and catch the frogs as they are driven from cover.

Frog legs (and part of their backs) are marinated in a vinegar/soysauce mix, laced heavily with garlic and pepper and cooked over a slow fire. We call this adobo style. One can cook anything in this marinade - upland birds, chicken, goat, pork, etc. I like adding a bay leaf or two and cooking until the mix has been cooked off, then adding a little oil and frying again until the legs are crispy.

Pinoy Sniper

Reactions: podge
I worked on a fresh water prawn farm on Kauai. In Nov though Jan or so, hundreds of American bullfrogs would gather on one pond to mate. You could hear the pond from a quarter mile away. They ate a lot of prawns so we tried to get them out.
One guy would wade in the water with a spot light and would use a half of a fishing pole with 2 feet of line and a treble hook. He would catch them under the throat.
But still, they could sense the wave movement and when you got within 5-8 feet, "WRUUUP" down they would go and hide underwater.
If you tried walking quietly on the grass along the pond, they could also sense you coming and would dive.
Finally we figured out that one guy driving the pickup and one guy sitting on the back with a deep dip net was the way to get close. I would drive with a beer between my legs and Skynyrd blasting on the tape player and would shout, "Jessie, there's one"!!! and he would drop right on top of it.
In an hour and a half one night, we caught 105 lbs of frogs. Sent them to Honolulu for $3 per lb (this was 1984 or so)
I guess evolution hasn't taught them that a pickup truck with loud music is dangerous. Either that or they really like Skynyrd too. ??

Gigging is not really the best way to capture bullfrogs for eating, a spot light and bare hands is better so this really isn't about a spearing recipe. However, we include lobsters and scallops in our catch so I see no reason why this delectable fresh water morsel shouldn't be included.

C'mon, guys, I know how I cook 'em. What do you do?

Whats Gigging? Sounds... well... rofl

Gigging is spearing. You use a five pronged point on a long hand spear and holding a flashlight in one hand to blind the frog, you reach out with the spear and stab 'im. It was probably developed back in the days when all people had to hunt frogs with was a torch. Same thing for hook and line. But today, the most important part of the whole thing is the spotlight. Hit a frog in the eyes with 30K candlepower and he freezes. Then you can just scoop him up in your hand . . . according to what I've read. That's why I gotta try this out.

Hit a frog in the eyes with 30K candlepower and he freezes. Then you can just scoop him up in your hand . . . according to what I've read. That's why I gotta try this out.

Not if you're walking or wading in the water. They can sense the water movement and hear your steps. It was hard to get close enough to snag them with a piece of 4 foot fishing pole.

Might explain why the traditional gig is eight feet long! :D Everybody I know about who goes after frogs these days uses a boat and gently drifts within grabbin' range. That's why I want to go down South and give it a try.

In my part of Texas we get them on stock tanks. A bright spot light and .22 rifle (or pistol if you're good) and using short ammo. Just have to watch out for Water Mocassins. :naughty

So? How do you cook 'em? The frogs, I mean. Got no interest in eating water moccasins.

Skin the legs. Soak in icey salt water for an hour, squirt down with lemon juice, dredge in seasoned flour (S & P & cajun seasoning & poultry seasoning), whipped egg and beer batter and--like so many Southern delights--deep fry. Serve with tartar sauce which includes finely diceed sweet onion. :friday I don't like Cottonmouths either!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT