• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

from 2.30 to 6.05 in two weeks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
How long you can safely hold your breath on a dive is hugely variable, between divers and between dives by the same diver, different conditions. There are some very general guidelines. With a reasonable surface interval, full lung, normal exertion dive, 1 minute isn't supposed to be able to get you in trouble. If you are relaxed, you probably won't be experiencing contractions, but you may be just past that first urge to breathe. Normally, you can go a lot longer than that, but with care and practice.

Kars has a point about counting not helping awareness or relaxation. Its good for a check. I do it a lot in the pool and after a while, counting pretty much recedes into the background.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice.
Just to remind you. I am not able to attend a course. There is no experienced freedivers (not any that have safety training) on island that I know off.
I dont have a buddy and even if I get one, we both still have to go on a course (which isnt available here) before we will know what to do.

Unless I sift through the advice and all the literature I can find, and take a good measure of risk, I will not be able to freedive at all. This is what I will have to do until I find the money and the time to go off island and attend one of these brilliant courses you all talk about.

If you are anywhere closer than a five day boat trip from your nearest freedive community or school or buddy, you are in a better situation than me.
So it seems like it will have to be my imagination and the couch that get most dive time.

oldfather - the "heating up" you speak of is normal. In our everyday activities we expel a lot of body heat from the warm air in our lungs as we exhale. It's one of the ways our bodies maintain a normal temperature.
For some animals, like dogs, this is about the ONLY way they can cool off. You've seen how dogs pant heavily when they are hot. Well, when we hold our breath we are eliminating the ability to lose heat through our exhales. But while holding our breath we are still metabolizing somewhat - so we may start to warm up and even sweat. I often sweat during an O2 table.

The rising CO2 gives a warming sensation. So one of the signs.

In pool-diving, provided you're rested, hydrated, healthy, for divers who do not hyperventilate, I think coming up slowly when the urge to breath starts is pretty safe in a pool. Not counting hidden personal medical problems which can surface with the mildest of exercise. However one has to consider the lifeguard's and other peer needs for control, overview and feeling safe. Be a responsible gentleman.

Freedivers have to have a good amount of self knowledge and awareness, and not execute these rules of thumb like mindless lemmings.
To obtain wisdom and awareness one has to do a lot of exploring. Exploring your (near)limits is dangerous, so only explore past your first urge to breath when you have a buddy to catch you when you fall.

There are things you can explore alone, such as improving swimming techniques: How efficient can you swim, how far until the first urge to breath?
How deep can you get with a duckdive?
How fast can you get your mind and body in dive mode?

So on the list to do should be to do a medical dive check up. The doctor should check you for hearth, lung, circulation, belly, ear, sinus, nose problems, so you have more certainty you can dive without unexpected hidden medical problems.

Maintaining a logbook is also a way to become more aware and secure in your diving.

Your fears are often based on unknowns. Careful, slow and secured exploration can replace your fear with knowledge, experience and wisdom.
One of things freediving has taught me, was to notice my own mind sliding toward panic, stop that, concentrate on the practical in the moment and let the fear dissolve.
Fear now is not a dictator, its just and advisor hinting me about an important need.
Now there is time between the stimulus and reaction. That time allows me to think before I react. Instead of the reflex reaction, I enjoy now mental control and give a response.

Enjoy this spiritual ascension and climb the stairway to a save heaven* :D

Love, courage and Water,

Kars

*heaven can be translated to harbour. (haven - is Dutch for harbour)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT