• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

full body hydrodynamic flow simulation model

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
One of our club members is a university professor working in fluid mechanics. On our diving trip last weekend we spoke about the possibility of some simulations or research work that his students could do in the field of freediving. I hope he'll come up with something interesting. I though for example about studying optimal geometry of bi and mono-fins.

Today, he sent me a link to the website of the FLUENT company that is specialized in fluid flow simulation software. Lately they brought to the market a full human body model allowing fluid flow simulations. It was used for example by Speedo for developing their Fastskin swimming suits, and USA Swimming, the national governing body for competitive swimming in the United States, has been using FLUENT to evaluate the flow around the hand and forearm of a swimmer during the propulsion phases of the freestyle and butterfly strokes.

It looks quite interesting - have a look at some documents, pictures, animations, and other details on their website. Check out for example these ones:

Press Releases - Speedo Brings Formula One Technology to the Pool
Fluent - Press Release - US Olympic Swim Team Turns to Technology to Perfect Strokes
http://www.fluent.com/about/news/newsletters/06v15i2/a18.pdf

Fluent NEWS - Spring 2000 - "Designing" the Optimum Stroke
an177b_sm.gif a5i2.gif swim6.gif swim2.gif
I guess it might be interesting also for manufacturers of freediving equipment - such as for example the freediving safety vest. Though, since there is no pricing available on FLUENT's website, I do not know whether the simulations are affordable for smaller companies.

Last edited:
Excellent info., very interesting. Hope to read more on this in the future.

Great annimations and pics. Maybe keeping my toes together isnt the best?:naughty

sweet diagrams dude. this'll definitely come in handy when im workin on my form

Maybe keeping my toes together isnt the best?:naughty

The study looks like they designed it for competitive swimmers, not freedivers, though the same principles apply. Flow is one thing- but drag is another. Streamlining, i.e. flow, certainly reduces drag. It also seems to me that the less surface area, the less drag. So, keeping the toes and hands and legs and arms together when gliding, all expose less surface area and therefore reduce drag. So, I'd say keeping your toes together is best (except when kicking, then make them into flippers.;) )

I would say the ideal position only has hot spots (red areas) on the finger tips.

Thanks.

In peace,
Glen

Any pros out there? Maybe this is a company to approach? They may just want a freediver on their 'team' ? Just thought i would throw that out there...

Probably wouldnt make much difference but twisting the toes in {dnf} seems to provide more resistance than feet together and toes directly back.
Id also like to see this with arms down also.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT