• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fun Freedive for non certified

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
In the end, I got a certification in Indonesia. These are the impressions and take aways from the SSI Level I:

1. Theory: nothing really new. Equalization techniques (Valsava/ Frenzel), ATMs/ lung volume at depths, why not hyperventilate, relaxation, higher absorption of O2 at depths, etc were already in the bag from by scuba background and freediving books/ internet reading.

2. Lung/ Diaphragm stretching/ exercises: Good point. I have read and done before but should incorporate it in a routine to perceive its benefits.

3. Pool training take away:
a. finning refinement (I was bending my knees a bit more than I should)

4. Freediving Day 1 Takeaways:
a. Paying more attention to the dive sequence: warm up, breath up, snorkel removal, pre equalization, “elegant” duck dive, recovery breathing (even when it is not that necessary – just to have it in “auto pilot” mode). Not a big deal, but now I follow it more systematically.
b. Training with a buoy/ line: mainly head position. As I was not used with a line I tended to look down now and then.
c. Sea was flat. Focused on the techniques and got to the end of the rope at 20m which was the mark I had before the course.

5. Freediving Day 2 Takeaways:
a. Probably the best takeaway of the entire course: training the buddy recovery at 10m.
b. Sea was very choppy and I got seasick which completely messed up my performance and expectations for the second day. I ended up sharing my breakfast with a hungry school of fish J . Will have a Dramamine/ Dramin B6 (motion sickness pill) ready next time.

6. OVERALL: It was really good to dive in a controlled environment with buddies and experienced instructors. Even though I didn’t get an epiphany from the course theory, the practical exercises refined some of my techniques, gave me more awareness and systematic approach. The buddy recovery was the highlight and I think it should be part of a fundive warmup.

=======================================
There is no perfect approach for all cases, but there might a common ground for the previous comments and feedbacks:

@manalive! You have a point about certification and driving license and agree that it can be used as a skill check - but the following could also happen with professional drivers (with driving license) when renting a car :)

The point is: in the absence of a certification (example: someone that lives far from a shop/ course but practices every day), instead of denying the fun freedive, the shop can promote it and reduce its entry barriers for newcomers or non certified (with safety practices in place). Between USD 275 for a certification or USD 27 for a fundive I think many people would be more willing to pay USD 27 before they commit with a certification. Pretty much what PADI does with “Discover Scuba”. This is still a niche market that can reach a critical mass before it gets to its potential share of active freedivers. The more people practicing and talking about it, the better - more research, technique development, better sponsorships for professional freedivers and so on.

@go-hard covers all the scenarios you mentioned with the with induction programs, skill check by a senior member, dive line progression and safety refreshers. This is the right way, imo, to promote freediving – by welcoming new people and making it easier for them to get involved and get a certification later on.

@Bill McIntyre and @Andrew the fish : I’m not a spearo but I see freediving as a good controlled environment to refine the skills for my “deep snorkeling” and instead of pushing to the very limit as in competitive freediving, I want to push my “buffer zone” over time. I like this video that shows the result after 2 years of an advanced exercise: 4min at 30m, then 4min at 40m, then 4m at 50m.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT