• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Funny fish names

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just discovered the Sucker family...
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catostomidae]Catostomidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Another branch of the incredibly large Carp family, and a rich source of funny names:

Hogsucker
Carpsucker
Fleshylip Buffalo
Chubsucker
Chinese Sailfin Sucker
Mountain Sucker

and many more.

Reactions: spaghetti
What I find is relly strange, not exactly funny (and I know it's not a fish) but dolphins are consious breathers, and if they wer to fall unconscious they would die.

...what happens when they sleep? Do they?

Sorry I just found that out and had to post it somewhere.

What I find is relly strange, not exactly funny (and I know it's not a fish) but dolphins are consious breathers, and if they wer to fall unconscious they would die.

...what happens when they sleep? Do they?

Sorry I just found that out and had to post it somewhere.

Dolphins close down half their brain for a while, letting the other half take care of the necessary functions such as breathing. Shadowkiller (our Deeperblue Marine Biologist extraordinaire) will probably be able to explain it better.

I must confess that I thought the Slippery Dick was a wind-up, especially with the 'adults may grow up to 8 inches' comment. A quick search on fishbase.org has proved me wrong.

Interesting to note that they list the maximum size as 14 inches...

Last edited:
Shadowkiller (our Deeperblue Marine Biologist extraordinaire) will probably be able to explain it better.

This isn't, I take it, a marine biologists especially for deeperblue. That would be fun, although what could you reasearch?
thanks, i'll definalty get in touch, it's been a while since i've had the oppotunity to talk to a marine biologist.

very interesting about the dolphins, but it backs up my idea that those things are not quite real... they smile too much for one thing!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT