• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

FWC trying to ban spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ryan harrison

Feb 17, 2018
FWC recently sent me an email about meetings open to the public about proposed rule changes. After much research and not from their own website I found that the proposed changes are to ban spearfishing in Biscayne park and end mini season. From the looks of it they don’t want anyone to know what the topic is so they don’t show up and provide opposition. The meetings are all at 6:00 pm. August 6 @UM Newmen alumni center 6200 San amaro dr.
August 7 @florida city, city hall 404 w palm drive
August 8@ key largo Murray E Nelson gov. center 10205 overseas hwy
Go voice your concerns and let’s not let FWC continue to persecute the smallest group of fishermen with no science behind their decisions. Sorry for such late notice but FWC is trying to keep these meeting under wraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. X and hydroid
What happened? What is their motivation?

They want to increase fish lenght by 20%, ban spearfishing within the park and ban lobster "mini-season"...

They're still in conversations. But we must go to these meetings and made our voice be heared!

Reactions: Mr. X
Even if I don't spearfish on scuba, I think that it has worked in Florida. With all the restrictions and enforcements, there's fish for everyone.

Additionally, when they start banning, they don´t stop...

Even if I don't spearfish on scuba, I think that it has worked in Florida. With all the restrictions and enforcements, there's fish for everyone.

Additionally, when they start banning, they don´t stop...
What has worked in Florida? Did they ban scuba spearfishing but allow freedivers to spear?

They've been trying to do this for about 15-20 years in biscayne. If it happens you can just go get a commercial license and rape the ocean till there is nothing left. I'm sure those guys won't be affected.

I live down in Loreto, Baja Sur. 8 years ago they snuck a spearfishing ban on the agenda of the Marine Park Association... spearfisherman have never been given a chance for a rebuttal. Once you lose the privilege it is likely gone, so fight hard to keep it. My suggestion... promote Spearfishing Ethics in the community and make that your rallying focus... we are selective in our kills, and we should not be killing the biggest fish, the "breeders". Kill for food, not for sport or bragging rights. Just my 2 cents, but it is the best argument we have that carries weight with non-spearos.

Reactions: Ed_G
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT