• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gara 2000 vs Sporasub HD advice needed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
These are my first long bladed fins. I dive in Lake Mich so sturdiness is very much a factor - likewise surface cruise. I wear a 10.5-11 shoe - usually 11. I've read through alot of posts on the forum but am hoping somone with strong opinions could drop a post or two in. I can get either fin for $100. Up till now I haven't used a boot with my fins and I'm wondering how the longer fins differ in terms of how they should fit etc.

i would say that you try both of them and them make a decision on which feels better. like all the equipment we use, its about comfort more than anything. you dont want to imagine diving for 3 hours using a pair of fins that you hate just because some Joe Shmoe on the internet told you to buy that pair. ;)

The fins are going to be close, powerwise. The Gara's tend to be extremely comfortable for anyone that wears them, but the Sporasub pocket is also excellent if they fit you.
I would go with the Spora's because you can buy interchangeable blades. The Cressi's blades are molded to the footpockets and cannot be changed.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

If it is the gara 2000hf you are looking at, you should know that they are not good for surface swimming. When swimming out to do line diving I usually have to swim on my back to cover any distance in a short amount of time.

HF/LD

Interesting point - I can get either one - but a local shop has a pair of LD's that I've been able to try on - though not swim with. The foot pockets seem snug - and not as soft as those in my Dacor longblades - but that makes sense - I don't know if going up to a 12 would be smart.

Anyway -near as I can tell the LD is supposed to have a softer blade? Possibly this would be better on the surface?

the main idea is to get down - but alot of times I am swimming in some fairly choppy water and swimming a ways to get to where I can dive.

You probably should be wearing socks, not boots with soles, with them. Most freediving fins are designed to wear with freediving socks. In Lake Mich, I would think you would want socks to have any length of season. If your local shop has them, then you are better off than most of us. Most scuba shops don’t carry them. If you need to order them some places are the db store here, www.subprof.com, www.spearfishinggear.com, www.norcalfreedive.com, or any place that carries freediving equipment. Be sure to compare shipping, because sometimes the shipping is as much as the equipment when ordering from overseas.

I would guess your fin size would be 44-46 with a 3 or 5mm sock.
don

if you have wide feet, go with the Sporas...I cant even get my feet into Cressi's unless I am barefooted ( no socks )..and also, like allready stated,. with SporaSub you will be able to change blades when/if you want to upgrade or if you breake a blade..

Johan

..my feet are so wide, if only they where longer, I wouldnt need fins...:head

Yes the LD blades are softer. I suppose they may be better on the surface, but I have never tried them. The top dog spearfisherman up here in AB has LD's and he does a lot of surface swimming being a fisher, so I suspect they are ok for this. It is true the pockets are narrow and quite soft on Cressi. Soft = comfortable, but you give up power transfer to the blade that you would have with a stiffer pocket. I would maybe recommend sporasubs.

It might take some negociation, but you need to try'em in the water. Fin selection is too individual. Some people's legs and feet just don't suit cressi's, others are just fine. I used them for two decades perfectly happy and never realized they weren't good on the surface, turning sideways slightly just wasn't a problem for me. However, having tried spora pockets with specialfin blades, their superior surface ability grows on you, fast.

Connor

Thanks for excellent input

Clincher was the neoprene socks and wide feet. In shop (not water) the cressis are noticeable against the big joint at the base of my big toe - this, I suspect, would translate quickly into blood in the water. I'll go with the spora's - most places will let you send em back if they don't work.

Sadly my personal gear aquisition curve has been temporarily derailed - so it may be next summer before I see them.:waterwork

Re: Thanks for excellent input

Originally posted by Fondueset
Sadly my personal gear aquisition curve has been temporarily derailed

....Dude! Priorities, priorities! ;)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Aquasitious De-Interruptus

I have contrived a fiendishly simple plan to finance my new fins with no further interference from the Bureau of Rationalization. Yet have added another fish to the soup by looking at the picasso black team fins. Any opinions? I'm set to go with the sporas but am wondering how these measure up.

I'm diving mostly in the great lakes - frequently in choppy water and probably occassionally standing on breakwall rocks and stuff.

Also - I wear an 11usa and, after trying the cressi's, am thinking it might be wise to lean toward a 46-48 with socks.

All opinions welcome :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT