• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GAWD, Another gear question....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

okiecaver

Apr 12, 2001
Ok, got my fins and belt picked out (selling my never used Dive Rite 50#wings to cover that) , pretty sure I want to do pics and maybe some old fart competition. My advisor says my Body Glove suit won't do (I'll keep it for warm water tech dives).

I need open cell, smooth on both sides.

Fred likes Eliossub, Ted and John like the Cressi SuperComp. Does anyone here have experience with TopSub? It seems like a quality product too. I weightlift, so I'm NOT a standard body size.

TIA and dive safe
Brock

I don't know anything about topsub, but Ted and I both use Picasso suit for most everything.

I have a 3mm standard Biotermic and Ted has a 5mm commercial. These have been great suits so far, but they are a bit pricey compared to an Eliosub.

I used a standard 3mm jumpsuit with a 3mm hooded vest for a long time. It was only after hearing David Sipperly speak at DEMA a few years ago that I decided to upgrade to a real freediving wetsuit. The standard suit worked, but a real freediving suit is much more comfortable an deasier to movein. It is also a lot warmer per a given thickness.

Which fins did you decide upon?

Jon

Speaking of not the standard size... I'm 6'4" and near 300lbs and the Cresci Supercomp fits me great. Love it. We were in 5 - 6 degree water for near an hour last weekend and was warm the entire trip (check the pictures at www.qcci.net/altasub ).

Best of luck with your decision.

PS used to love to freedive the caves at ginnie, love watching the tech divers confused faces as you pass them by without air...

Brock - what made you decide that you want smoothskin/open cell on both sides?

I am still new at this but I believe that smoothskin or open cell exteriors are not as durable as a normal nylon lining.

While I love the open cell interior on my suit, I definitely don't want the same on the outside. It wouldn’t take long before it got torn on a boat or shore dive.

JMD - what size Cressi suit are you wearing? I thought they were only available up to size 6?

Cheers

Ash

Jon, I went for the Sporasub fullfoot...

after reading some of Dan Volkers old posts on rec scuba ("a freediving fin with no heel is like a $100 dollar sneaker with the heel cut off") and your recommendation. I'll probably go with the booties you discussed too.

I also like the Picasso DDS Bio for a suit. I like the material and the inner/outer sleeve idea. But the price- YEOWCH!!!!

Damn James, you are BIG. Me, I'm just 165 on 5ft 8 in, but I'm an inverted triangle. Size 7-1/2 d feet up to a 46 inch chest and 16 in neck.

After reading one of Ted's posts I got the Marseilles style belt.

Oh, and I already have an Ice cap.

And Jon , not to worry. I kept my OMS 100# lift bungee wing

Dive safe
Brock

Hi ash...

The choice was on the recommendation of my "advisor" after we discussed what I wanted to do. She is steering me towards static and dynamic apnea and simple ballast. Because of my bulldog build she felt I needed the extra flow from a smoothskin.

As for durability, I'm sure they are more delicate, but I've had that part smoothie for 4 years with no snags. I'm good with my toys and with any suit I'll get knee protectors.

What fins did you get?

Dive safe
Brock

And Jon , not to worry. I kept my OMS 100# lift bungee wing

:mute ;)

Originally posted by okiecaver
[
What fins did you get?

Dive safe
Brock [/B]

I have had a set of Cressi Gara 2000HF fins for ages. I used them for scuba diving in South Africa before I moved out to NZ.

With 99% of my scuba diving out here being in a drysuit, the Cressis were consigned to the closet until I got into freediving. It’s been such a pleasure to use them again.

I have to say that I like the Cressis a lot but I am itching to try a set of the Omer Millennium Ice fins. I have heard only good things about them.

Ash

HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!

Be nice- it's freediving we are discussing.

for THAT debate, go to Scubaboard!

Dive safe
Brock

Just teasing you a bit there Brock.;)

Actually, that's the really nice part about this site compared to rec.scuba or the terch diver list. People here are actually nice and offer helpful information. :D

This list has the best "tone" of any that I have seen. I have also learned about more good dive deals, proper form, and even found my dive buddy on here- even though we lived in the same city before, we had no idea that anyone else around was into freediving.

DEEPER BLUE Rocks!!

Jon

I can only concurr..

Everyone here has been awesome in the welcomes and very tolerant of my continual questions. I really feel at home here and hope I can find some buddies to dive with thru it, as you did Jon. In the meantime Fred 'n me can commiserate on being buddyless.

David Lee has been a big help, and Reid Quinlan has nothing but great things to say.

I do think, at some point this summer, I'd like to take a performancediving freediving course, perhaps in California. I'll just have to see what my schedule looks like.

in the meantime that Picasso DDS Bio is calling my name......

Dive safe
Brock

Completely off topic now, but I just can't say enough about Kirk's performance freediving course. They flew out here last fall to put one on and I learned more in 3 days than I learned in a couple years of diving. It's, IMHO, the single best purchase you can make to instantly improve your freediving ability.

I agree completely James!

I learned more in his clinic than I ever did in any of the overpriced trimix or instructor level courses that I ever taken.

All of the scuba classes that I have taken were to get a "card" so that I could do something that I was ( usually)doing anyhow.

Kirk's clinic offered no "cards", just a heck of a lot of knowledge and positive experiences- like learning form Eric F., Karoline and Martin S. to name a few!

Jon

Thanks Jamesand Jon, I'll email them, but back to the topic....

Or should I repost?

Topsub vs Eliossub, vs Picasso DDS Bio.

anyone with experience here?

dive safe
Brock

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT