• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

g'day to all

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shark snack

Jun 13, 2020
Hi I am Geoff
I live in Adelaide south Australia and have only ever snorkelled a few times ....( once in Beachport south east south Australia and once in Port Douglas lower far north Queensland)
My first snorkel outing was with my cousins little kids and crapped my self when his oldest boy (6-7 years old at the time ) swam up beside me in a wet suit andall I could only see was a grey/black object out of the corner of my eye .... the second trip was much better on a reef out in QLDs far north on a snorkel charter were I followed a very small reef shark around for a few mins and seen big tasty coral trout...
So now I have for some stupid reason decided I wont to give spearfishing a go .... I got a wet suit, snorkel, spear gun, dive knife, float and flag( and right now as I am typing making power heads).
Just need to get a weight belt and weights, possible another dive knife and a float line and I think I should be good to go ( maybe a few pairs of spar jocks).
If any one is in this cold frozen town and could help out with some tips and locations were to go (not the stranded go f**k your self) I would really appreciated.
If I could tag a long on a trip that would be awesome too.
If I am asking to much just tell me back off.
Cheers guys

Welcome Shark. I moved your thread to the Buddies /Oz area of the forum but left a link to it in Greets. I believe there is an Adreno shop in your area. Their youtube videos look pretty good and I believe they run classes and events to help new spearos get started safely.

Powerheads?o_O Definitely checkout Adreno first.

Welcome Shark. I moved your thread to the Buddies /Oz area of the forum but left a link to it in Greets. I believe there is an Adreno shop in your area. Their youtube videos look pretty good and I believe they run classes and events to help new spearos get started safely.

Powerheads?o_O Definitely checkout Adreno first.
Really? cheers Mr X .... I dont do computer stuff really well.... I don't even have face book ....ill checkout this Adreno place asap .... tested one of my power heads tonight in a lagoon down the road if I can work out how to up load a pic of the wood I set up under the water ill post it

Reactions: Mr. X
We may have a terminology difference. I just came across an Australian video about "fitting a roller power head" - is that what you did, fit a roller muzzle?

Thought you were talking about a bullet tipped anti-shark spear.

Last edited:
We may have a terminology difference. I just came across an Australian video about "fitting a roller power head" - is that what you did, fit a roller muzzle?

Thought you were talking about a bullet tipped anti-shark spear.

Yer I am making power heads all so known as bang or boom sticks and some countries call them shark sticks ....
I hope to god never have to use one buy I need my arms and legs for work .
I have made some pone calls and been to the cop shop to make sure I am not braking the law .

809.jpeg

was in chest deep water in a spoon drain on the side of a road with only the moon light to see this crappy bit of chip boards bubbles coming up to know were to roughly aim for (finally hit it on the 6th attempt but fist go with the 2nd power hear ).
was in a pair of shorts and some reef shoes and was so cold I was all most completely numb ...
I thought it would of been a hell of a lot louder ... is was no louder then a small rock being lobbed in to the water.
this power head is made from a 308 round , I am going to see if I can do something with a 12 gauge round ...
but as I said I hope I never have to resort to using them ....but as murphies law states "if you have it you wont need it but f you don't have it you will get eaten"..... ha-ha

Electronic shark-shield?

Thankfully we don't have much in the way of shark problems around the UK. There is/was reputedly a portbeagle that takes exception to spearos around Portland, Dorset. The newspapers here usually make up a shark story or two at the start of each summer, but usually not credible.

In sharkier waters, seems like spearos tend to operate in teams. With look outs with loaded spearguns to prod them away. And a willingness to leave the water quickly if necessary I would think!

I expect there are other forum members who have more experience with sharks.

Electronic shark-shield?

Thankfully we don't have much in the way of shark problems around the UK. There is/was reputedly a portbeagle that takes exception to spearos around Portland, Dorset. The newspapers here usually make up a shark story or two at the start of each summer, but usually not credible.

In sharkier waters, seems like spearos tend to operate in teams. With look outs with loaded spearguns to prod them away. And a willingness to leave the water quickly if necessary I would think!

I expect there are other forum members who have more experience with sharks.
I have had a big big tiger shark stork me me back to the beach when I was about 17 -18 years old living in Darwin..... most of what I see on line is they are just checking you out ...... and as for a shark shield there just out of my price range for now and not in stock because of this covid 19 (made in china) but I will be getting one asap

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the UK used to get big sharks. I have a couple of big old fish hooks that are almost a foot long. I took a heavy chain and swivel off one to use on my kayak's anchor!

But our fish stocks, especially of big fish, have dwindled over decades due to commercial over fishing.

South Australia has a snapper band on until 2023 and that I think would be one of the most common targeted fish for spearfishing.... we get a lot of big white pointers here in south aust to ....
Do you spear from your kayak? I was thinking of using my kayak instead of my little boat to go out from.....

That was the plan but no, I don't spear from it - too much gear to deal with, not worth the unnecessary hassle for me. I have a 2+ seater. We usually troll a lure, which works quite well. My son sometimes comes over to me on the kayak, he brought my long speargun over to me last year on one occasion which was very handy.

I have seen a guy spearing alone effectively from a single seater kayak on the east coast of the Lizard in Cornwall.

That was the plan but no, I don't spear from it - too much gear to deal with, not worth the unnecessary hassle for me. I have a 2+ seater. We usually troll a lure, which works quite well. My son sometimes comes over to me on the kayak, he brought my long speargun over to me last year on one occasion which was very handy.

I have seen a guy spearing alone effectively from a single seater kayak on the east coast of the Lizard in Cornwall.

When I finely get all my gear together I'll see how it looks in the kayak

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT