• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gear bag for long term travel

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Saar

Apr 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

Pretty new here and this is probably a question that comes up quite often, but I can't seem to find a thread on long term travelling with gear on here.

The thing is I'll be heading to Tonga in July for a couple of months and live remotely before heading on to a few other countries, I'm pretty small so there is no way I'm going to be carrying two pairs of bi-fins, two wetsuits, weights plus all my regular stuff on my back for such a long trip. 12 kg has always been my max for a backpack. :p

How do you guys usually pack for a big trip with lots of moving around, without upsetting your back and luggage handlers? Most roller bags I saw are too small to carry fins, has anyone used their snowboard bag before? Pretty much the same shape right, just a big longer? Plus they have wheels..

Any tips on brands / bags are appreciated!

Sportube Series 2 or 3 is big enough to fit everything you need, plus it's hard sided and lockable to offer extra protection. It has a handle with wheels for easy transport through airports, but it can be unwieldily if you have to carry it long distances over uneven terrain.

Another option is something like the Riffe Drifter spearfishing backpack. Although you'll find that that option will offer little to no protection for your fins and gun.

A third option would be to look into collapsible gear. Riffe now makes a teak gun that breaks down into two pieces and there are companies abound that offer options for travel ready pole spears. Check out options by Gatku and Mako. You can fit things like this and some fins in a decently long duffel bag. If you've got some crazy long fins, check out a pair of Moana Waterman Euros for an efficient, shorter fin.

Hope that helps

Happy Travels

-Frog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips, saw the Drifter backpack earlier too and thought it would be too small / would rather have my gear protected inside a bag. Just saw a review from someone who carried his 7mm suit in there though so I guess it's not as small as it looks. Unsealed roads are probably going to be a thing too, so perhaps wheels are not the best option.

Also, I'm curious to hear what people's experiences are with Cathay Pacific / Fiji / Air NZ, can you get away with fins strapped onto your backpack as carry on?

I take a Mares Attack Titan bag, which is pretty rugged, but I never lug weights around. Usually borrow weights from dive centers when I get there. That way airlines will usually take it as regular luggage. The way the luggage handlers throw bags around you'll end up with the weights flying about in your bag. Don't want that.

I have the Mares Attack Titan bag, materials and design are good but I loaded with 18 kg of equipments and was a pain to carry it around airports .
I will definitely sell it soon and buy something that can used like backpack or with wheels

I have the Mares Attack Titan bag, materials and design are good but I loaded with 18 kg of equipments and was a pain to carry it around airports .
I will definitely sell it soon and buy something that can used like backpack or with wheels

Yup, looks pretty sturdy and great once checked in but not too comfortable to carry. Think I'm going for the good old backpack and just an extra fin bag that also fits my wetsuits and borrowing weights like William Freeman said. Just found the Seacsub Shadow Bag, if I find other good options I'll post them here if I remember.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT