• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gear Bags

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mhomer

Dec 4, 2001
What are the problems with the gear bags on the market today? Please suggest anything like size, design, and convience of the bag, as well as any suggestions to changes for the gear bags on the market today!
-----------------

Hi,

The problem with gear bags is that they are not gear boxes. I use biggish plastic boxes
that have tops so that I can load the car and go diving and then just throw the wet stuff back in the box when I'm done. I have one for diving and one for windsurfing, I'm about to get another, for scuba. Picasso makes great dive bags, but they are very expensive.

Best box wishes,

Doug

Hello everyone,
The biggest problem I had w/ gear bags are they weren't big enough for my fins. I just bought one from OMER thats big enough for me and my fins! It's also coated w/ PVC so I can put my wet gear in it and then throw it in my car. The box idea is also great and I use it for some of my scuba gear and freediving stuff as well.
Jay;)

In the bag

Speaking of OMER, I just received a package of goodies from Mark Laboccetta today. As usual, Mark throws in a few magazines to read, including the Fall issue of Spearfishing Magazine this time. In it is an article about freediving gearbags. I will list some of them here...Armor Products has a nice new bag for 35$ that's 29" long. AB Biller has a bag available in 3 sizes 96$ to 118$ www.abbiller.com . Sporasub's bag is 35"x10"x8".. www.htmsport.com . The OMER bag that Jay's talking about looks excellent at 48$ www.spearfishing.com
Cheers,
Erik Y.

for air travel with the long fins a soft golf club travel bag works for me. I also considered a golf club hard case and looked pretty close at using a hard rifle case and taking out the foam, I think that would have worked good too. With the golf bag, everything my wife and I take along can go into that bag... sure glad it's got wheels... I think it was about $85 - $100 U.S. It's soft sided so I fold long pieces of cardboard around the carbon blades and secure them with rubber bands. I have to admit though... I'm still looking for something better. If I ever find a hard rifle case about 45" long that's wide and deep enough for the fins, I think that would be the ticket.

Cooler on wheels

Octo uses a large plastic ice chest that has wheels and extendable pull arm. He can throw everything (except his fins and guns) and just rolls it along. It is real nice for wet stuff and weights as well as keeping his dinner fresh while driving back from the hunt. Pretty cheap as recall.

Hey All,

What I like the best about the cooler is I can keep the heat sensitive equipment (mask, wetsuit) from melting in my car. That way I am ready to dive in a moments notice (not that I have the time with this latest project at work...). I still need to put the fins on the floor and cover them to keep them from frying though.

So my wish list for a gear bag is:

Insulated
floats
has wheels
long enough for fins & speargun
hard cased
doubles as a bench
lockable
Comes with instant dive buddy (just add water-salt or otherwise)

OK, maybe it is a dream list, but if anyone hears of something similar...

Aaron

Try a dry bag with shoulder straps - usually sold for river rafting, canoeing, etc? The larger sizes are long enough for fins, spacious enough for several wetsuits, plenty durable to carry weight belts, and fairly comfortable to lug on your back. And they are very waterproof, so your car doesn't develop that wonderful funk that makes you want to drive apneic for next month.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT