• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GeckoSub Mirage Evo - And Adventures in 3D Printing Speargun Parts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
one of the best thread in 2018 -- 2020 :)

Thanks so much:). Hope your adventures in wood are going well.

I’m stuck in the Philippines and with no idea about when I can get back to China and work, I had my apartment and all my gear packed up and put into storage. Most of my projects and improvements are only happening in my mind these days.

But once the world returns a bit more to normal, I’ll continue learning about and trying to improve my air guns. The end goal is a scratch built one but I’m not in a rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found your article a great story.Well Presented and the challenges you faced with all the processes you under took to arrive some were on the project well done

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Hey Gecko! Did you ever try the reel?

Not on that gun, no as the gun hasn’t been in the water since I added the real. It’s a very powerful gun when I run it at higher pressures - too powerful for the kind of fish I see around here now.

As for the reel, I have one of those as a belt reel. Once you glue the two halves together it works alright. Whether a quick wahoo run would melt it, I don’t know;-). But it’s a 20 bucks reel so it might be worth a try...

I might have found a place where I can go hunt for Spanish Macks in the 10kg size but I’m sure I can still shoot those on the Pathos 100 or the Predathor Vuoto 100 so not sure if I’ll even bring the bigger gun...

Acually, if I had a 7-7.5mm shaft for it, I might have brought it and used it a “normal” pressure. It’s just that I only have 8mm and for that, I need higher pressure than I can load without the pulley loader. And at higher pressures the gun starts shooting really high...
I haven’t mentioned it here as I’m still not on top of why it is and it’s very difficult to get used to. But I shot it a little bit in the pool at 5m and it shoots way high. Something like 10cm high.
My theory right now is that the exit speed is so high the barb creates lift and makes the shaft go high. I always place the barb on the underside and only did on shot with the barb on top and while it did shoot lower then, it was just one shot and not enough to make any firm conclusions.
Since then, my friend has closed down the shop and the pool is getting too dirty to test in.

In order to reduce the toss of the barrel when firing, there are reversers ... You can also put the hood of a cobra ...

In order to reduce the toss of the barrel when firing, there are reversers ... You can also put the hood of a cobra ...

Hi Vlanik. As always, “interesting” to hear from you.
Do me a favor, please never ever change. Please continue your amazing habit of hardly ever taking other people’s thoughts into account when you post. Please just continue replying to posts you didn’t bother to fully read.

Maybe it’s muzzle lift but I specifically said that I think it’s because of the barb as the shaft shot low when I turned the shaft so the barb faced up. Now, I’ll test more at some point and let the rest of the readers here know when I have more data.

As for “hood of cobra” I’ll take a guess and say you mean “wings”. Personally, I think they are ungainly and a bandaid solution to a root problem best solved in other ways.
I am actually not entirely discounting the possibility of traditional muzzle flip caused by recoil but that’s why I modified the handle to get a much, much higher grip on it. Something you earlier in this thread, once again, talked trash about but which, in my book, is the proper way of reducing muzzle flip.

But since I raised the handle - if it’s not the barb that’s the culprit - then it could be the whole gun lifting as a result of the change in buoyancy as the heavy 8mm shaft leaves the gun.

I don’t know what a “reverser” is. Some sort of mass dampener, perhaps. Please do notice the lack of question marks in those two sentences as I really don’t need you to answer.

Good luck on your own 3D printing endeavors. ABS is a good choice for your parts and once I fully enclose my Printer I’ll start messing about with ABS and hopefully PC.

Last edited:
setting one flag on the harpoon always leads the harpoon in the opposite direction ... The front rudder is more effective than the rear one ... cobra heads ... and the reversers and the cobra hood you can see on my guns ...

setting one flag on the harpoon always leads the harpoon in the opposite direction ... The front rudder is more effective than the rear one ... cobra heads ... and the reversers and the cobra hood you can see on my guns ...

I don’t look at your guns much at all - reason being simple: though they are technologically interesting they remind me of the personality of their creator which I don’t need reminding off.
Except I have to admit I saw your ABS handles and cudos on those.

I actually thought your cobra heads (cuttlefish shape) was to stop your guns from sinking and I’ve stated plenty of times, how my own preference is for guns that are neutral in the water when loaded.
Either way, of course, giving the gun more mass will make the shaft have relatively less mass out of the total and reduce the percentage wise change in buoyancy as the shaft leaves the gun. No surprise there.

Last edited:
here the reversers are clearly visible ... Previously, I made them in the form of a cobra hood, so that they clicked on the receiver
20170910_150522.jpg

Reactions: tromic
I used to make handles out of epoxy resin and fiberglass ... Now I print them on a 3D printer ... All the details on my guns are printed on a 3D printer ... Except for the front and back caps ...

I love your "fights"! :D :p:giggle:

Gecko: I used to have that same reel and I didn't liked it. I ended up changing it.

However, It was capable of landing a very nice mackerel. I was curious about how good it would hold to the barrell with the glue.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
I love your "fights"! :D :p:giggle:

Gecko: I used to have that same reel and I didn't liked it. I ended up changing it.

However, It was capable of landing a very nice mackerel. I was curious about how good it would hold to the barrell with the glue.

Haha. I promised myself countless times I’d not even reply to Mr. V but I guess I find some fun in him, too.

I’ll update here once I actually have some real world experience on that glue joint:)

Reactions: limpsi-boy
Handle Design is the main suspected factor when gun not shoot accurate or u want upgrade to to shoot bullseye if all other factors is accurate (spear ,rubber ,......etc ) , in case of wood handmade guns ,I have been struggling for long time with different guns and the solution came from a very small modification in handle ,of course the pneumatic speargun have different concepts and u need to search for that secret factor ,more test in pool with styro foam target ,I attached something from air gun shoots analysis ,it give a general guidance for me .
printable-corrective-target-8-5-x-11-for-left-handed-shooters.png

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT