• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Genoni tries 140 variable

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Rules = CIO = CMAS = National Federations
Not rules = NOT LIMITS = Not judges = NOT sport = AIDA = Extreme personal freedom

In the world of records that that it counts she is not AIDA or organization XXYY but only that that believes the public….
AIDA is not sport, the world of the sports does not recognize and it cannot be astonished that Genoni behaves with AIDA exactly comer AIDA is behaved with the CMAS…. :head

Because to pay AIDA or the CMAS in order to look at itself authenticated a test that is not sport recognized from the world sportsman? These are important tests but from guinnes of the supremacies and they are not part of the world of the sport, the rules that AIDA does not recognize to other Genoni today does not recognize to them in AIDA. Simple!

Sorry for my English

:head :martial

jrgian,

I think you misunderstood. Nobody tells that performances made out of the supervision of AIDA (or whatever else organization) are of a lower value than those confirmed. The problem with them is that they are not comparable to any other performance (not even to each other), since the conditions are unknown and/or not comparable to those of the official records. Additionally, most AIDA recordmen have their unofficial Personal Best performances better than the confirmed AIDA records (and often much better) and not even published. Hence it is quite unfair comparing a unofficial record with an official one. Unofficial records can be compared to PB and training results, but in no way to the official records.

Last edited:
Unofficial?
Officials?
In the null Freediving he is official! The history of the Freediving demonstrates it, is from when Majol determined to stop to make its performance with the Federations that the world of the Freediving is outside of every shared rule common and outside of every sport organization inner to the world of the CIO. Naturally, at least until when the CMAS it has not recommenced to be interested of competitions.
The records they are events to if and they live of sposors that show not to be interested of bla bla of AIDA. I want to say that the sponsors of the sport world and the world adorn sposrtif are not interested at all. That that interests is the mediatic event and the fact that is same people to certify the validity of a test. Hour that is or less the approval than an agency like AIDA does not interest the public (would not know what is AIDA…), it does not interest the sponsors and therefore it can also not interest the athletes. Practically Genoni and not only he, has understood that of CERTIFICATIONS to payment it can make some calmly less.
Some years ago I discussed with Umberto on purpose of acknowledgments about AIDA, CMAS or other… I said then to Umberto and I confirm still today that to certify today they are the same athletes, are they to being known and BEING RECOGNIZED. The acknowledgment people and AIDA or the CMAS or any lacks other agency will not never be able yours self.
The competitions are other thing and happen that only the indeed OFFICIAL ones are those of the CMAS.
The rules are rules and all are not only accepted and when they are convenient.
AIDA outside has chosen to be OUTSIDE from the world of the official sport and with national federations, practically outside from the RULES, because would want to take care itself of an athlete who it refuses every regolator (AIDA, CMAS, ecc, ecc...)?
I would want that it was clearly that my participation is not at all polemic.

Ciao from Gianfranco

Reactions: spaghetti
that's just ridiculous!

another thread that is going wildly off topic again. instead of supporting genoni you guys successfully dump your politics and egos onto the whole affair. why can't you people just cut that childish bickering about what's official and what's not? start another thread with yet another political discussion if you have to.

hijacking a freedivers achievements and dive project to bring forward your political views ain't too cool in my opinion.

genoni rocks and i'll call his dive a world record anyway.

roland

p.s. you should all spend more time in water and/or take the red pill :)

Reactions: spaghetti
Not friend mine, creed that is legitimate to support the choice of Genoni. One free choice in a world that says of free being. The rules are other thing and I am not here to support those that like me but to only say that Genoni has all my understanding for its choice.
In how much to go to the sea, I augur you to be in water the half of how much there am .....

Ciao, good bath :head

Ciao Gianfranco,

Freediver’s are FREE - DIVERS, well, at least inside of AIDA. If you seek for freediving on Yahoo or Google you will directly see that 95% is connected to AIDA. So yes, AIDA is more into freediving today than CMAS ever been. But freediver’s are always free to make there own choice. If they want to be outside of the federations or big organizations they can do that. Most of the freediver’s chose AIDA, and now this is happen in Italia as well, slow yes, but with success (!) Now AIDA Italia have one of the best female team in the world, and between the 1 and 12 of December your welcome down to Hurghada - Egypt to see them in action yourself, and join the freediving world.

I most say that AIDA is doing very well, and we try to be better every year. Everybody are welcome to AIDA, yes even you Mr. Ciavarella.
We are freediver’s working for freediver’s and this is the key, to meet the athletes halfway, listen, work and act.

Remember that we will always have some freediver’s that want to do things outside of the federations. They will do there own thing and they will call it whatever they want. If I don’t follow any rules, I can make 10 WR this afternoon. You know, without judges and rules there is no accurate control and I can fool the media and sponsors very easy.

Forza Italia and good luck to Genoni!!!
/B

Just two quick thoughts

1. Best of luck to Genoni...have a good one :)
2. The AIDA announcement regarding NLT/VWT says specifically that they will be "RELUCTANT" in accepting any new attempts... it does not say that AIDA will "REFUSE" any attempt....

(My idea of this "RELUCTANT" is that they will look more closely into who is asking whats their setup and other details like that...so if Genoni asked there is a possibility AIDA would have accepted....)

Anyways bottom line is that Genoni is going to do a wonderful dive in Sharm and I wish him to have fun...

Cheers Stavros

immerlustig said:
that's just ridiculous!
I am sorry Immerlustig (though not lustig at all in this case), if my posts triggered such a violent reaction. They were definitely not meant to diminish Gianluca's attempt. I feel that your harsh words came uncalled for. If you look back in this thread, you can see I was the very first one who reacted and wished good luck without any comments. And I do not think that discussing unofficial and official records in a post announcing an unofficial record is something off-topic or political. As you can see, it is apparently a topic that needs to be discussed. I think that agressing, rebuking, and shutting up others for doing so in a quiet and a civilized form, was not quite well placed here.

That told, I can only repeat what I already wrote several times, that the attempt being unofficial and without AIDA judges, in no way lowers its value in my eyes, and it certainly will be a giant achievement of a great freediver that Gianluca is. As I wrote it is just a pity it won't be certified by AIDA, when so little would be needed, but it does not mean I'd have less respect for the achievement. And as I already wrote, I wish good luck to Gianluca!

Last edited:
You make feint not to understand…
The free daivers are free always also from AIDA.
They were Pelizzari, Pipin, Majorca, Majol etc etc.
Today in the world there are less free divers than how many us are some in Italy, about what speak? 95% of 0 are 0…
Auguries to Gianluca and compliment for its choice of LIBERTA'!

By

Thank godness for political topics.
A "good luck thread" is terribly boring.

Now the man has been down to 141 - good for him.
And Carlos will do 142 :) When he is back on his legs.
And he will do it AIDA and we will know that he is not doped or helped at the surface. Since there will be judges there.

Because not all athletes likes fairplay.
(Was there not an athlete (before Aida) that had led up his wetsuit in CWT and dropped it in secrecy at the bottom - cant remember his name or nationality)
(And was there not an athlete that had BO at surface and still claimed a WR - cant remember his name or nationality).

And soon all freedivers that have been insulted by Aida will be too old to go deep - and we will have one undisputed world federation. And as long as we dont see better options the name of that federation will be Aida.

Sebastian
Sweden

Sorry friend mine, but the automatic translation does not concur to understand me how much has written. It pardons to me but I do not succeed to us!

Ciao da Gianfranco

Congratulations to Gianluca Genoni, but ... has anybody hear or read anything about why in the world he decided not to certify his record attempt? Because there is no doubt about it, that must have been a decision he took knowing very well what was at stake. He is no strange to this situation, he knows very well what he needed to do to get his record homologated, if he wanted to. So?

Congratulations to Gianluca Genoni. Since when is 38 too old.

"And soon all freedivers that have been insulted by Aida will be too old to go deep - and we will have one undisputed world federation. And as long as we dont see better options the name of that federation will be Aida."

Easy on that age stuff Sebastian. You too will be old some day, if your lucky. While you're dreaming about the 'undisputed' part of the world federation, some of us dream of AIDA working by one set of rules.

Aloha
Bill

Bill said:
Congratulations to Gianluca Genoni. Since when is 38 too old.

"And soon all freedivers that have been insulted by Aida will be too old to go deep - and we will have one undisputed world federation. And as long as we dont see better options the name of that federation will be Aida."

Easy on that age stuff Sebastian. You too will be old some day, if your lucky. While you're dreaming about the 'undisputed' part of the world federation, some of us dream of AIDA working by one set of rules.

Aloha
Bill

Aloha Bill

Well knowing Ceb, I am sure that he are very aware about the age thing! He's been around in the freediving world for quite some time now, and seen a lot of great divers come and go.

A comment about his post, it's in some way true that the regrowt of new world atlethes are weak at the moment. But all things moves in cycles.
Besides aint it time to cut AIDA some slack, there have been questionable things in the past, but these last few years it has been made a lot of work to set rules etc straight. After all aint it we freedivers who decide if and how much trust AIDA should have.

First, congratulations to Gianluca, it certainly gives some of us hope that we can still improve even if in the early 30s!

AIDA or not, i cant help to notice that the (succesful) attempt was 1m more from the official AIDA variable weight record, not 5m less nor 10 more more (or whatever would be any other federation's similar record).

It tells me that at this time AIDA is the benchmark both for pro and con-AIDA freedivers.

Now back to Gianluca's dive, it's an inspiration (or expiration :) ) and a great way to finish a career.

Serge

Great dive indeed! Congratulations! World record or not he has shown that he MIGHT be able to do it with judges.

Flojt said:
A comment about his post, it's in some way true that the regrowt of new world atlethes are weak at the moment.QUOTE]

Who are you to claim a thing like that? I would say that the regrowth is greater than ever. The world record is no longer 70-80m and a 60m dive is not spectacular anymore. I would say that there are more divers than ever diving deeper than 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100.

Ofcourse the absolute top consists of experienced divers that has been in the game for quite some time. You have to dive for quite some time to reach +100m. New top athletes do not spring up over night. Maybe a 70-80m diver can develop quite fast, a thing that would have made a top notch diver just a couple of years ago.

Since the sport have developed it takes more time to reach the top and maybe it cannot be done without the right help. In a small sport with no money or fame for anyone but for those few best it is harder for a medium range diver to catch up,but it will happen. I do not think I am a fool to say that in a couple of years there will be more names past 100m CWT 200m DYN and 8min STA if not a ban is put on deep diving because of the risks.

Ahh, this keeps being interesting.
And Per(ow) is rigth. We have a great set of characters at the top I would say. Most W-records are challenged by not only two person but sometimes three (on the male side). And a majority of them choose Aida. Aida has pissed of a few (mostly italians ;-) but the depths have probably become to deep for them...or. Genoni seems to be still there. What is the FREE athletes doing?

"37" - Umberto once answered the question of what being the optimum age for a freediver (he was 37 at the time:)

I am sure Kona-Bill will beg to differ? I would be happy to read such things as when he started and how he evaluates his development as age go by. As age seem to in some ways gone by him :)

As I understand it, the tricky part is getting into water - thereon things seems to work just fine. I remember when we were filming for STIG´s round the world documentary and preparation for the challenge of WR 67 CNF.
The ropes were not optimal in the honaunau bay (?) and Stig needed a mark to focus on. "Old" Bill went down and came up with the words. "Now I have tied a knot at 55".

Sebastian
Sweden

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT