• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Get with the programe U.K

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ridiculous idea! If a limited was enforced on spearfishing, how many bass in the UK would be saved. A hundred? Two? We don't make the slightest mark on stock population.

Reactions: speerolee and jaymz
I give up as nobody is quite getting what i am saying in that it needs a conservation policy that covers all types of fishing regarding bass.. stands to reason if you dont see many bass then thats an indication that stocks are not healthy.. im sure the dodo was abit thin on the ground before it disappeared.
I can go out in plenty of spots in ireland and see schools of large bass, doesnt take a rocket scientist..

Reactions: artiz
We can all see what your saying pal, just no one agrees. If the I swam back to the beach after spending 8 hours in the water catching 3 bass, and then a bloke was standing there telling me I'm only allowed to catch 2....I'd re-load!

the original question was "what is the laim excuse for the UK for not getting with the programme as per Ireland?"
well...I think we have all answered that.

right..I'm of for a round of golf then...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ashbish
how about 'spear and release policy' ;) ;)

I'd back that policy Lee.

Spear the fish, release into Feeezer ;)

well this question is better off to a fishing forum then yes? As Spearfishers take sweet FA compared to other methods. You realise your asking one of the lowest success rate methods of fishing to agree to a 2 bass a day limit??. Whilst most of us don't even see 2 bass a day, I really think your pissing in the wind trying to get an answer like that from spearfishers in the UK.

The real reason your asking it, is because Ireland is pissed off it has rules on the limit and the UK doesn't. Although you wouldn't admit that, I don't think I'm far off.

At no stage did I refer to a limit specifically for spearfishing,rod anglers probably kill 1000 fold of what spearos would,i was referring to some general conservation measures ,for the only true saltwater gamefish that is found around our coastlines.
You don't see two bass most days your out ,have a think about that,i have regularly swam with 100s .Thank God our authority's aren't as backward thinking as yours,as I'd have to take up GOLF !

Reactions: artiz
I have the opportunity to take as many bass as I please on 99% of my dives and thus I get picky and just take a few 5lb+ fish. But if I get realy bored I'll take a few 3-4 lb fish too.....but after that if I dont see any bigger fish...I'll play golf.

You don't see two bass most days your out ,have a think about that, I have regularly swam with 100s,

so if you took 3 bass out of the flock of 100's your swimming with, do you think your making a damaging impact to stock?

Problem with a bag limit for spearos is the limited time we are able to get into the water in comparison to other fishing methods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

''Flock'' ?,God ye Welsh guys sure are sheep on the brain:ROFLMAO:,if their were 3 of us spearing ,and we all took 6 or 7 each time we went,yes we would have an impact eventually .

Reactions: jaymz
Spear and release......with golf is the way forward; get with the programme guys!! ;)

You can only take two sheep a day mate ;)

The regulations in Ireland make feck all difference anyway as Ireland is a corrupt third world banana republic with no enforcement.
Irish bass stocks appear to be less healthy than England or Wales, so what do you think your regulations actually achieve?

Perhaps this thick twit could represent us when legislation comes around... he's really got his 'finger on the pulse' regarding International public relations... what a knob?

Think of how niche a sport Spearfishing is. We merely scratch the surface on the bass caught in the UK, Spearfishing would be the last thing the government would want to look at to reduce the amount of bass taken.

I know boys who out nets across estuaries and catch more bass in 1 day than I catch all year... Let's start looking at things like that first!!?

The problem here jaymz is that you're not thinking like a politician and all the green and wishy-washy votes that you could get by banning an unrepresented and unregulated minority past time. For the greater social/conservational good etc... they don't care about our votes... too few to mention... the Marine Conservation Society and so on are key and will be listened too by a new Labour government who created the UK's MCZ's in the first place... if they get in next year?
I bet you didn't know that Gordon Brown (the last Labour PM) before being booted out created the biggest no-take marine reserve in history in Chagos (Indian Ocean). It has led to a UN tribunal this year but not for the no-take ban... more for/about the indigenous people who used to live there before we moved them out and allowed the yanks to blow up entire islands with nukes?

If any new marine legislation wins votes they'll legislate/regulate... mainly because they can now that we have MCZ's?

The very fact that spearfishing is a niche past time (I can't bring myself to say sport cos spearfishing is hunting) is our Achilles heel, and even more so without any formal/intelligent/co-ordinated representation?

Alternatively we could always get headmunter to go in... he'll sort them out for us (what a plum?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I genuinely couldn't give 2 sh**s about the politics behind Spearfishing. Even if they banned it, id still go....sue me.

I genuinely couldn't give 2 sh**s about the politics behind Spearfishing. Even if they banned it, id still go....sue me.

You and too many other younger blokes on this forum might not... but then again you haven't got a son (yet) who's spearfishing future in the UK is looking bleak...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT