• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Getting a new Speargun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

CobiaKiller

Mar 20, 2008
I need help deciding weather to get the JBL Woody Magnum or the JBL Gulf Magnum XHD. I hunt the oil rigs and shoot mostly cobia and snapper, but some amberjacks. Won't get a riffe or wong, too much money for a rig gun. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Have you considered a Biller or a Sea Hornet as a compromise? They are considered to be a league above the JBLs I believe and still a lot cheaper than the Riffes and Wongs.

I would go with the gulf magnum XHD,
I dont like the plastic mech that much on the woodys. It would jam sometimes if I put 2 bands on and almost all the time with three.

The alu mechs on the other guns are tough and have never jamed on me.

I think if you are scuba diving you would want the gun to sink,

The abbillers are better in my mind than jbls but its up to you.

Last edited:
Cobia,

The JBLs have a very noisy trigger mech, when releasing the shaft. And I am not a fan of the slide ring set up they use. Have you looked into any Euro gun makers ie: Rob Allen or Rabitech. Not sure if you need the huge 3/8 shaft that the JBLs come with as they are very heavy and can be slow if under powered. I know HammerHead Spearguns makes some dead spot accurate guns at a good price. But they only have a 17/64 shaft which is quick but might be too thin for your targeted food.

I am sure you will be burried in information on this site as everyone is very willing to help with advice.

good luck,

Joel

Reactions: spaghetti
I have a Biller 60 SS. I have looked at the other guns. I like the 3/8 saft but I am used to the 9/16 also I have both for my other 2 gun. I don't mind if it floats because the gun will be attached to my BC since I use ridding rigs. I don't realy want a euro gun because most shafts are to thin to handle getting pulled around rig legs.
P.S. JBL Woody Magnum comes with the alu trigger mech now like the metal guns.

Reactions: crockdoc
No experience of it but I have been told it's a decent gun. It's a very popular gun down your way amongst experienced rig divers so I would tend to say it's a better bet than the JBL :)

Please let me know what gun woul be best for hunting the rigs: JBL Woody Mag, JBL Gulf Mag XHD, or Sea Hornet 42 rhino.

Is a 42 big enough for the rigs? There are some big fish knocking about you'll need a bit more punch, maybe the 52 would be more suitable. Try searching the forums for posts made by Mike Freeman aka rigdvr he has written a lot of good info on the subject :)

Its not that big but i already have a Biller 60 Special. I wanted something a bit smaller to shoot snapper. Thats why i lk the JBL Woody Mag.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT