• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Getting a very long static apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lovšin

Mar 12, 2016
So, yesterday me and a friend of mine have found out about static apnea. We also read alot of arcticles. And of course we tried it. He made it to 5 minutes, and I made it to 6 minutes. Although my head felt like it will explode, also my head hurt afterwards. We also don't mind the contractions, because for the past years, we have done all sort of shit to our bodies, so we have no problem with willpower.... I guess that is why I got a 6 min static. Although I got the urge to breathe before 3 minutes. I also wanted to say that I have 6l of air in my lungs. But apperently wikipedia says 5.7 is average, so I guess I am average. But to the point, I was wondering how long would it take me to reach 8 minutes of static apnea. I have began with the following CO2 table:
HOLD TIME: 3:00 min, REST TIME: 60 sec for 8 loops, while decreasing REST TIME by -7., so last REST TIME is 18 sec. Inbetween I just breathe like I would normally, no deep breathing whatsoever. So would it be possible? Any suggestions on training? Would running like a few km for condition also help?

That's pretty impressive. If you got to 6 mins that fast then 8 mins may be possible for you. But most folks never get that far. Keep practicing, and get a feel for it - and as you do that you will become more and more familiar with it and especially more relaxed. Relaxation is key. Don't ever do this alone in the water!

That's pretty impressive. If you got to 6 mins that fast then 8 mins may be possible for you. But most folks never get that far. Keep practicing, and get a feel for it - and as you do that you will become more and more familiar with it and especially more relaxed. Relaxation is key. Don't ever do this alone in the water!
Yesterday when I was trying the CO2 table and was kind of like in a very relaxes state I somehow managed a little differently when contractions come. In the past when the contractiosn came I just started moving my stomach up and down and it felt easier... But yesterday I never moved my stomach up and down from the beggining, and tried to somehow accept them. And it felt soo easier... Well when I am nearing my full end, I can't resist to move my body... But is this accepting the contractions, or am I doing the contradict?

I'm not a competitive freediver and no expert on competitive statics, but I think any movement you make will use up oxygen and thus reduce your static time. If you watch videos of people doing static competitions they don't move much at all, even right up to the end, except for the involuntary contractions. For myself, I know when I have done my personal bests, the last minute or so I simply "must" move around a little, shift my legs, toss my head, etc. Are looking to compete or just trying to see what you are capable of?

I'm not a competitive freediver and no expert on competitive statics, but I think any movement you make will use up oxygen and thus reduce your static time. If you watch videos of people doing static competitions they don't move much at all, even right up to the end, except for the involuntary contractions. For myself, I know when I have done my personal bests, the last minute or so I simply "must" move around a little, shift my legs, toss my head, etc. Are looking to compete or just trying to see what you are capable of?
Well at first I just wanted to see what I am capable of and still am looking for, but then I saw that our countries record is 8:03 mins, which was my initial end point, so I am looking for both. But the thing is that I only know of this CO2 and O2 tables, actually currently doing only CO2 tables. Maybe sometimes apnea walks, and I am gonna start running, to get up my physical condition, hoping that will help too. Of course at the end I'd like to freedive too, because that is really fun, but I have to get rid of my problem there to, cause currently I can't last more than 30 sec underwater, I just feel the pressure at 10-15 sec already, it is really weird, my cousing can stay underwater the same amount of time, but her static is about a minute and a half. So first looking for static, then going for dynamic!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT