• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Getting cool new gadgets vs. Upgrading your skills ... not the movie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SASpearo

Desk Driver
Dec 6, 2001
Hi all,

I've been wondering (I normally ponder this AFTER I've bought some new, expensive toys) which is better:

a. Buying new toys to improve range, accuracy, etc.
b. Working on your skills as an underwater hunter to improve stalking, accuracy etc.

Lemme know what you think. I'll post my comments soon enough.

I would say that they are totally different things. Honestly I dont buy new trinkets primary because they would improve my diving/hunting, but because it is very much fun to get new toys. Improving my diving/hunting comes as secondary thing when considering buying new toys. ( and is the main excuse for buying them, to my wife.. ;) ).
If I was to seriously improve my hunting I would start from training hard.

Tuomo

I read a story on a guy that does commercial spearing, and went out with some mates to the rigs. He spoke about improving skill etc over gear.

Having the right gear is important - you don't cave-hunt with a 60" Riffe pole, or go after 300# Tuna with a polespear. Having the right kit for the job is part of skill, though - knowing what to expect in what conditions etc.

This guy (damned if I can remember who or where or even when) talked about stoning fish - a major plus point for most spearo's I know. They all like to make a quick kill (apart from some SA guys who seem to like a fight :D ) - so why not do some research into where the sweet spots are?

As he explained it, the best shot is at an angle of about 60 degrees to the fish, going in at the lateral line behind the gills. This gives you a bigger chance to get a shot through the spine, as well as more damage to the spine once hit. (By going in at 90 degrees with a 7mm spear, you take out 7mm of spine. At 60 degrees you take out at least 14mm of spine)

Also, he was 'spooking' the fish to get them to turn into the perfect shot profile - slightly behind, at the aforementioned angle. Now THIS is what being a true hunter is all about - getting to know the game, your equipment, your limits, as well as your prey's behaviour. Making a quick kill can mean the difference between getting your fish and getting all the fish.

Mmmmmm .....

hiya

I love buying new toys:D :D Who doesn't?? If it improves my diving then thats an additional bonus (my hybrids:D ) and if it doesn't ah, well, too bad (my 3 purge valve snorkels:head )

Hey, SAspearo, you replaced your "holy suit" yet?

:D :D :D

miles

Nope. I ordered a bluewater cammo patern 3mm Farmer John, but never got around to getting the damn thing. Luckily I haven;t paid the bastards yet.

Diving in Moz with board shorts and a plakkie for a loading pad.

Mighty brave of you. Remember the blue bottle sting???
Some people just want to learn the same lesson over and over again:D :D :D :D

miles
aka bottom fish

I always get excited with new toys :D Carefully selected toys have some technical superiority but I usually benefit more from the motivation :)

He he he ... how could I forget.

Wasn't a bluebottle though, was ecto plankton. Hurt like a bitch for two hours .... I've stopped taking my mask off in the water. Got some of the fogg-off stuff, it works reasonably well.

Oh Ya .... guess what I'm doing this weekend?

Getting my 'Carma' aligned properly ....

Originally posted by SASpearo
I read a story on a guy that does commercial spearing, and went out with some mates to the rigs. He spoke about improving skill etc over gear.

Having the right gear is important - you don't cave-hunt with a 60" Riffe pole, or go after 300# Tuna with a polespear. Having the right kit for the job is part of skill, though - knowing what to expect in what conditions etc.

This guy (damned if I can remember who or where or even when) talked about stoning fish - a major plus point for most spearo's I know. They all like to make a quick kill (apart from some SA guys who seem to like a fight :D ) - so why not do some research into where the sweet spots are?

That was in a past spearfishing magazine...it was off the Louisiana oil rigs and was a scuba hunter(the guy own SS spearguns) Being from florida he was used to freeshafting(no line to the shaft) and they are serious about shot placement in order to lose fewer shafts. The angle he described is the BEST shot. It give a much higher percent chance for a clean kill because of the way a shaft enters and exits the fish...as for me on a breath hold dive, Ill take what they give me:D

If you put Michael Schumacher in to the worst F1 car obviously he won't win, but if you put worst pilot in to the ferrari, can he win?

Can't we have both at the same time?????

Last edited:
Of course we can have both at the same time ... look at fins, for example. There's NO WAY I can get down past 15m with stumpy scuba fins - but with my (now well worn) Grinta's, I get down and hunt at 40m. Well, used to - I'm stuck driving a desk at the moment, having my guys do all the fun stuff. Guess that's what having your own company is all about :(

Originally posted by SASpearo
but with my (now well worn) Grinta's, I get down and hunt at 40m.

Is that for REAL ? ? ? :cool:

Man i felt helplessness:(

Yep.

I haven't dived those depths since last year ... oh ***** I've only dived twice this year :(

Last deep dives were in Moz at the pinacles (around 35 metres or so) and at an undisclosed location (can't tell where, but there was a LOT of fish) at around 45m bottom.

I'm planning on getting back to gym, and to quit smoking (I've cut down a lot over the alst six months or so, can't kick it completely thoug) and doing lotsa water work. Then off to deep Moz, Lazarus etc etc etc ....

Man i go to gym 4 days per week, and never smoked... so there may be hope for the close future:D

Just need to get wet regullarly....:head

It's all in the art of relaxing. I NEVER, but NEVER get contractions. I focus on not getting any - besides, as has been speculated, I believe that smoking causes one to have no warning signs - eiher a direct BO or samba. mmmm ...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT