• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Getting seasick on boats

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ramirof

Oct 22, 2008
Hello everyone. Cuban freediver/spearfisher. New to the forum, so this subject has probably been discussed previously.

I get seasick whenever I get into a boat. I want/need to get used to.

Does any of you can offer a full and accurate explanation of the possible causes of this problem and how to overcome it? Why are some individuals so tolerant, while other are so sensitive instead?Is it continued practice the only way? If so, how long could it take to get used to?

Regards,
Ramiro

Hi Ramiro,

There are some medications that are supposed to prevent motion sickness, such as Dramamine, as well as natural remedies like ginger. That's a very small bit of info, and there is plenty more on the forum. Check out the search function and type in "seasickness", and a wealth of information will come up.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the forums :)

There are many factors to seasickness, you'll find a lot of info with a search on Google. Possible causes are age, sex, sea conditions, last meal etc.

Usually older people tolerate seasickness better, and males as well. However, one can get used to seasickness. A girl who grew up on a boat will definately outlast a male who has never stepped foot on a boat in his entire life.

Try chewing a pinch of ginger. That should help. Or rub the pressure point on your wrist.

the worst thing is to go in the cabin. be outside and look the horizon etc. everything that you do inside the cabin, do it fast. sometimes you should leave the job and go on the fresh air, at least with your head. breath slowly and deep. leave what you can do in port.
seasickness can be controlled with patches, tablets, food, drink, mind... even maritime officers have seasickness.
i had seasickness only once in 10 years boating experience because i drank whole night and made free dive to 65ft whole morning. the sea was Beaufort 3 only.

Reactions: agbiv
The best thing for seasickness on a boat is to stand under a tree!!
(this is from a Weymouth skipper to a young lady during a day long fishing trip!)

Only been there twice in my life--once sleeping below on a pig boat and really got sick from engine vibration & fumes. Other time just had entire bank of shots getting ready to post overseas--water was flat calm but hot!

All remedies are point. Inner ear & eye discoordination causes the queasiness (& greasy stuff in stomach).

As Karletto stated cool clear air & watch the horizon or an oil rig to orient ear & eye.

I've also found that ALTOIDS mints really help if feeling gruddy. :yack

"Don't chum for barracuda without putting a hook in it!" Al Boos Sr. (aka Capt. Ahab)

I've dealt with motion sickness for a long time. Plane, train, bus, car and boat. Near as I can tell there are two kinds. One starts with the stomach and Dramamine will help. The other starts in the inner ear and Marazine will help. In the latest info I read, the newer sea sick pills use a combination. First appeared on the cruise ships I think.
With or without pills you can build up a tolerance but it works best if you don't go past the point where you 'lose lunch'. The time required is very individual.

hey mate

welcome on db... usually i do not get seasickness because i do not go on boats :D hope u found the solution soon..

When I worked on a boat we gave ginger tablets and got people to stand at the stern, outside, and watch anything stable on the horizon. Nighttime is worse, especially if there's nothing to focus on. The stern generally has the least amount of motion. Be proactive; take the ginger before you get on the boat and keep taking it, stay at the back as much as possible. If you're overnighting, book a cabin at the stern, and get outside at the first onset of nausea. Usually the nausea dissapears as soon as you're in the water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT