• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GETTING STARTED IN BOTH FREE AND SCUBA DIVING

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
S

Saloooh91

So I'm getting started to train in getting my first open water course and would like to know a few things. I would also like to train in free diving after getting my advance open water certificate because the whole idea of being free in the water with no tank is beautiful. I know it is also challenging and sometimes might be dangerous.

I'm 24 year old student. My height is 180 CM and weigh 117 KG/258 lbs ( I know I need to lose some weight which is part of the plan)

Could you guys recommend the best equipment and brands to buy for both free and scuba dives ? Also could you include all the basic equipment that I need ?

Mask, snorker, fins and what ?

Congratulations on joining the Dive Tribe! I started SCUBA and "snorkeling" almost simultaneously as a kid in Hawaii, as anything that meant more time in the water was cool! So, there are a lot of fundamental things that SCUBA can teach you regarding the underwater world...and the academics will give you some familiarity with diving maladies, physiology, gas laws, etc. In your SCUBA certification, you will have some exposure to gear selection and a segment on "skin diving". Let that segment help you determine just how interested you are in "free diving" and take note of your equipment and how it performs in comparison to doing SCUBA stuff.

So, a wetsuit is common to both disciplines. A weight belt is common to both disciplines (both can be rented). You will probably want your own mask and snorkel. Fins can be rented...so get a mask that is comfortable and low-volume, if you can. Now stop. You bought a mask and a snorkel, that's yours and will become part of your foundation as you progress...then you may add fins, but they can also be rented. Finish your course and check in at that time...how did it go? How comfortable were you with the gear? Did you like the skin diving segment? Then you can figure out next/first steps towards Apnea training and advanced SCUBA.

Good luck and have fun!

Congratulations on joining the Dive Tribe! I started SCUBA and "snorkeling" almost simultaneously as a kid in Hawaii, as anything that meant more time in the water was cool! So, there are a lot of fundamental things that SCUBA can teach you regarding the underwater world...and the academics will give you some familiarity with diving maladies, physiology, gas laws, etc. In your SCUBA certification, you will have some exposure to gear selection and a segment on "skin diving". Let that segment help you determine just how interested you are in "free diving" and take note of your equipment and how it performs in comparison to doing SCUBA stuff.

So, a wetsuit is common to both disciplines. A weight belt is common to both disciplines (both can be rented). You will probably want your own mask and snorkel. Fins can be rented...so get a mask that is comfortable and low-volume, if you can. Now stop. You bought a mask and a snorkel, that's yours and will become part of your foundation as you progress...then you may add fins, but they can also be rented. Finish your course and check in at that time...how did it go? How comfortable were you with the gear? Did you like the skin diving segment? Then you can figure out next/first steps towards Apnea training and advanced SCUBA.

Good luck and have fun!
AWESOME!
You know I always wanted to visit Hawaii for it's beautiful beaches. I really want to visit the south point to cliff dive. Any brand recommendations for masks, snorkels and fins ?

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
Well, that depends on budget and physiology...so, in freediving, I use a lot of Cressi products, but that's due to trying to get sponsorship from them more than anything :) Really, most dive gear for SCUBA is comparable. You want to buy gear that fits, can be easily serviced, from a company with a track record and many service/dealership points. For Recreational SCUBA: I use a TUSA BCD primarily, a Dive Rite mask for SCUBA, US Divers Rocket Fins, Scuba Pro wet suits, and a variety of other manufacturers.

My point is, use what fits, fits your budget, is serviceable and well-built. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT