• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Getting started

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tonto_Kowalski

Oct 20, 2003
G'day all, I suppose this gets asked often, but I have not found any posts on this topic:

How do you get started developing free diving skills when you have no opportunities to train outside of your university pool?

I am interested in becoming proficient at this sort of thing, but due to my location (landlocked) and financial status (student too cheap to travel to warm water) I am limited in my resources. I do however have access to a good olympic sized pool.

So I suppose my question is: now what? I presently swim weekly and make some effort to do a portion of my lengths underwater. Is there any smart way to develop a training program?

Cheers,

Tonto Kowalski

Tonto,

The good news is that there is hope for you yet. We have a fairly active freedive community here in Alberta, about 10 people which isn't bad considering we're landlocked as well and 4800ft above sea level.

During the summers we train in the lakes and while we only found about 30m of depth this summer we're pretty sure one of our local lakes gets 50m deep.

During the winters we train dry statics (so we don't have to have a buddy) and dynamics in the local 50m pool as a group.

Best thing you can do in the short term is coerce someone into joining up with you (or post in the find a buddy forum) so that you can do some dynamic training, safely.

Hope that helps, pm me if you were looking for something more specific.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT