• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

ginnie springs, FL

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The111

Shallow Water Whiteout
May 29, 2004
Anyone know how freediver friendly they are these days? I went there years ago and had no problems, but things may be different now (I also did not dive deep or carry a light back then). From their website it looks like I might not be able to carry my light or do too much "exploring" the caverns without scaring the bubble blowers. I haven't been diving in months anyway so it's probably just as well.

On the same topic... myself and a few friends will be there March 4-6 with the Lockheed Martin Dive Club. Most of the other guys in the club will be doing SCUBA, but I'll be freediving and some of my friends will be snorkeling. If anyone wants to dive with me there that weekend, consider this an open invitation. :)

Reactions: DeepThought
I've never had any problems. Although I did freak out a cave diver couple years back. He saw me, nodded, then eyes eyes went real wide as he realized I didn't have a tank. He started offering me his longhose and gesturing to the way back out. I turned around shortly thereafter and we had a bit of a laugh on the surface.

That being said I've never carried a light there before, you might get harrased for entering the cave's with a light without cave certification.

btw I might be up in your neck of the woods March 10 - 13. Any interest in going to hit bluesprings, or some other spot near orlando, on that sunday?

There is a local at Blue Springs in Orange City who passed me by at 70'. He came up approx. 3 minutes later. He carries a light so as he puts it, "I won't bang my head on the wall in the boil room". According to him he has no formal training and does not scuba dive. He states he just has been going to Blue since he was a kid.

reddiver said:
There is a local at Blue Springs in Orange City who passed me by at 70'. He came up approx. 3 minutes later. He carries a light so as he puts it, "I won't bang my head on the wall in the boil room". According to him he has no formal training and does not scuba dive. He states he just has been going to Blue since he was a kid.
I've seen Jeff (jeff.richardson on these boards I think) do 3 minute dives @ Blue on occasion, but Jeff is SCUBA certified. Do you know the name of the local you saw? How old was he?

I'm not sure of the local's name. He was by himself. He is in his late 30's or early 40's. As I travel around the state I find freedivers all over. What I find disturbing is many of them are solo diving without any observer. :rcard

Got to be Jeff. I've dove with him several times in Blue. He is something else, the master of relaxed diving.

You are right about diving alone. There have been so few of us for so long that people just do what they feel like they have to do. Still a bad idea. Glad you are seeing more freedivers, good sign.

On the light thing, it sounds crazy, but you really need a light to go deep in Blue, it's black as pitch on the way down once past about 70 ft. You would bang into something for sure. Generally, a free diver carrying a light into the dark part of cave is a very bad idea. Even in Blue, you need to go lightless at first. I followed Jeff down a bunch getting the lay of the cave. Blue is a special case, you can see light from the entrance down past 100 ft (if you turn off the light) and the current blows you out once you turn around, impossible to get lost if you know what you are doing. Very cool place to free dive.

Connor

Last edited:
You are correct about Blue. It is a great place. Over the years I have logged over 200 scuba dives there; most were into the boil room. I don't know how many freedives. Stay Wet!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT