• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Glad to be here - V.I.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Parables

Nov 7, 2006
Hello everyone,

I just joined this evening. I am 25, grew up mainly in the Virgin Islands and currently live in New York.

I have three immediate goals re dynamic and static apnea.

-To swim 75meters underwater with no fins (in an olympic pool)

-Reach a static apnea time of 5 minutes.

-Free dive 50-75 feet consistently, be under water for 2-3 minutes per dive and actively snare massive lobster and shoot quality fish.

Any comments/links advice re dieting, training etc would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I will dig into this site and work to answer my own questions but any initial recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Do you think these goals are achievable by August of 2007? I can currently swim 50meters underwater (barely).

Thank you all, in advance, for your time, common interests and advice.

Welcome Parables you’ll find it all here mate and I like the sound of those massive lobsters.

Welcome
You swim the 50 meters without fins already?
- 5 minutes static is no problem as long as you keep at it, dont stop the static training.
-75 meters UW in pool, if you are already doing 50 meter you will be able to do it, its hard without fins for me.
- freedive 50-75 spearfishing, no big deal.
- staying underwater 2-3 minutes per dive, its a big no, no, you could, but
is actually very dangerous, you would have to rest a lot on the surface and
have a real buddy at all times with you, I would not try to acomplish that goal.
No matter what, seems you have your goals set, and it sounds like fun.
Just be careful.

Yep, I can do 50 meters underwater now but barely. I'm hurting by the time I reach the end. I haven't really experienced massive convulsions. Do I just plow through them. I can do this but what are the signs that I just come up for air?

Yeah, 50-75 shouldn't be too bad. I can touch at 60 buthave to come right back. The goal is to be able to stay down and prowl for a while.

I guess you're right about the 2-3 mins per dive. More like one 2-3 mind dive, then a 2-3 min surface interval. Some small 45 sec dives, more surface time and then another big dive. I always dive with friends but we have gotten scattered about at times. I will speak to them about this.

So yeah, if I can do 50meters you think with training I can do a static apnea time of 5:00mins. That would be groovy. Ultimately though my main goal is dynamic apnea. Swimming far far far with no air. The stillness thing is more for mental clarity and to know I can do it. Actively swimming while holding my breath is what I'm really after. 100meters down the road would be sweet. One step at a time.

One last question. When folks say "breathing up." how exactly does one breath up? When I breath I breath in push the stomack out then breath from the chest and swallow the air then submerge and go after it. When I see videos of guys doing the dynamic apnea's they do this pufferfish type gobble gobble move with their mouths closed. Is that breathing up? what exactly are they doing?

Thanks to all for your help.

Cheers,
Ian aka Parables

If you want to make quickly progress, I suggest you should travel... and visit one of the best freediving birthplace: C.I.P.A. School in Nice (South of France). It is managed by Loic Leferme, no limit world recordman at -171m ( 561 feet!). I met him in Antibes one week ago. He's in tip-top shape and a good/relaxed teacher...If interested please contact: francois.gautier@free.fr
All the best.

Thank you for the link. I will not be headed to France though any time soon. However, the next time I'm over there I will keep him in mind. Maybe I'll just send on an email with a few questions and if he has time to respond that would be groovy. Thanks for the help.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT