• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Glove recommendations for cold water

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

UKselkie

Apr 7, 2020
I scuba and freedive in the north of Scotland currently 5°C. My right hand is proving to be the limiting factor of my dive times so I think it is time to invest in new gloves. So fellow cold water divers, what gloves do you wear? They need to have a bit of flexibility in to use a camera.

I am using the Beuchat three finger mitt. Works very well. Imersion makes one to but have never used that one.

Reactions: UKselkie
New gloves for winter always size is important not to tight.I recommend 5mm Ommer spider neoprene gloves also cressi high stretch 5 mm. sporasub newer models of gloves are good on the neoprene as well on neoprene socks 5mm. The problen i encounter im winter is if i race to the surface a bit quicker than normal the cold water flows in to the inner space of rist and cuff or other movements. To stop that i wrap around the cuff area creating a seel with elecricians insultion tape not to tight !allowing blood to circulate with no restrictions.i on occasion change my gloves from a small dry sack or if from boat or reef abouve water line reheat my inner body with a thermos flask of hot fliud from a cup hope this helps a bit of talk in the socks i great as well dont pee in the suit

I also dive in the far north of Scotland and after trying several brands of gloves i now use Mares Flexfit 6.5 they have elasticated wrists and have been the only glove that i have used that don't let water in also they have good hand grip.

Both my brother and I have started diving in north idaho this winter. I use 7mm bare three finger gloves. They are ok. I can use my little camera with them. No problems with 37° F water. They do get plenty of water in them, but I dont even notice. My fingers never get cold.

My brother is using the xs scuba dry five gloves. They seem to be pretty dang nice. They have a nice wrist seal and his hands stay dry.

Ive never been much of a mitt guy myself, but the bares are plenty fine. They're good enough to stick with.

In my opinion, when it comes to diving gloves for cold water, you need to get the thickest one. I suggest a 5 mm to 6.5 mm glove for optimal warmth and safety. As a professional diver, I recommend that the colder the water is, the thicker your gloves should be.;)

Thank you all so much!

I bought 7mm neoprene mitts made by my local dive shop who also made my drysuit. They are so toasty! No problem in 4C water for an hour.

untitled-1250948.JPG

I ended up buying some of those xs dry 5's. While i do like the fit and feel of them much better. The three finger gloves were warmer.

I bought a set of the Waterproof brand G2 GLOVE 7MM 3-FINGER POLAR EVOLUTED gloves, they are not the bargain gloves but they performed well in tested 44 Deg F water. I really like these gloves because they are fairly compact for being mitts and also have the semi-dry second wrist seal which is really hard to find. Even though the wrist seals are not optimized for use with an open cell suit my hands stayed dry for a good 30 minutes before a small amount of water made its way in. They were noticeably warmer than my trusty XS Scuba Dry Five gloves. Overall the wrist seal on the dry five gloves is a little more effective with an open cell suit but the mitts had a nice tight wrist and a pull tab on the outer sleeve to help shove the hands in. As previously discussed the Bare 3 finger mitts worked well but they are a little bulky and do not have the extra wrist seal. Additionally I was able to wear my Salvimar One watch comfortably forward of the cuff with a looser fit rather than behind the cuff due to the design of the mitt and should accommodate most any watch out there. I did not have any issues using my GoPro or pushing buttons on my watch. My only complaint is to wish they had more abrasion resistance as the granite and limestone I dive around pulverizes gloves.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT