• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gloves for unassisted constant ballast

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepThought

Freediving Sloth
Sep 8, 2002
I've seen parts of 2 UCB records attempts but Mandy Rae and Anabel Brisano, and both were diving with gloves..
Now it seems like atleast certain gloves might give an advantage for UCB regarding propulsion, with webbed fingers or mittens to the extreme....
I don't remember seeing any of the men using gloves on the clips though...
I was wondering what's the rule regarding that... where does the line cross between assisted and unassisted?
(not trying to diminish any of their dives, boths are still kick-a$$ divers.:))

And what about no-fins dynamics?

Michael,

Good point about the rules.

Looks like AIDA rules doesn't specifically prohibit mittens or 3 finger gloves. I remember CAFA rules used to explicitly prohibit the 3-finger gloves and mitts, but now it has gone away. HOWEVER, section 6.12 says 'prohibit...any equipment to aid propulsion' (same in 8.11 for DNF) so it could mean the Jury can disallow 3-finger gloves or mittens if they see them as propulsion aids. So it's best to check this point and all equipment with whoever's judging the comp. or record attempt.

Personally I would prefer something like this to be more explicitly stated. But that's just my opinion.

Peter S.

Me too.
Another thing to consider is that the judges on sight doesn't always have the last word regarding world records...

Gloves may be an advantage or a disadantage depending on your style. They can also slow you down.....
I've tried it and it increases the drag or friction of your hands which is an advantage on the downstroke for propulsion. It then becomes a disadvantage when bringing your hands back up, and again for the glide phase. Annabel doesn't glide much and has small hands relative to me, so for her it's definitely an advantage. I use a lot of gliding and rely on being very streamlined. I'm also 190cm tall and have larger hands so the propulsion is not a problem for me.

For a world record attempt there is no way any judge would let someone use 3 fingered gloves or mittens. You might be able to sneak it by in a local or national competition but would be up to the judges present.

Cheers,
Wal

Last edited:
that sounds like it would give you a lot of extra power........i like it. :)
while it may not be allowed for record attempts or anything it sounds like it would be fun for recreational cnf. does anyone know how much a pair of good webbed gloves would cost?

-Rory

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT