• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Going beyond 8:00

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

HoldFast

Jan 22, 2015
It seems that yesterday's extremes are today's norms.

We are seeing more and more huge times being dropped around the globe. Lots of 8 minute holds, even some 9 & 10+ minute holds. Is this purely physiological advantage, extreme training and conditioning, or something else? Perhaps it is simply that freediving has gained more recognition over the years, and as such more people with favorable genetics are getting into the sport.

As a guy with a humble PB of 6:40, these times seem unattainable and only possible because of physiological advantage.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are: WHAT?!!! Your PB is 6:40?! Mine is still only 3:11, so don't think you are a weak breathholder. When people do 8:00+ (or even 6 or 7 + minutes for that matter), they have been training very much, long and good for that. And they are mentally tough indeed. Everyone has different circumstances - not everyone has the same time available, or motivation, or training facilities/possibilities, etcetera, etcetera.

With 3:11 as my PB in static I don't even feel like calling myself a freediver. It's great you are being humble, but you should be quite proud of 6:40. On the other hand: humbleness is a very beautiful quality. I once heard of a freediver considering any dive on one breath less deep than -40 m to be "advanced snorkeling". I also remember someone having really a lot of trouble reaching 50 m dynamic with fins and an instructor carelessly said: "50m is just a warm up for me." Talking about demotivating!

In short: be happy for those with longer breathholds than yourself, but don't compare. You can not compare. Different people, different circumstances, and A LOT of variables.

Probably more training and better technique. Personal PB is 6.11, but train little now so anything over 5 minutes is a bit of a struggle

To go 6 mins requires more than dedicated training - folks that can do that also have a physical capability beyond average.

Reactions: Sorandril
Once someone achieves something others believe and push themselves to do the same I think all limits are self imposed and anything can be achieved if you train and push the limits, but to be the person pushing the boundaries is something really special in any task!! Think about it your time of 6:40 would have been a world recorded at some point in time!! And if you think that is your limit then it will be!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT