• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Going down to Torquay area this weekend.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Anthony Duke

Jun 14, 2015
Like the title says......Does anyone know if the vis will be good? Also (not bein from round ere) where are the regular spots?
Me and a friend are beginners and just did a week freediving in Gozo. We are keen to start the spero side of things.
Any important do's and dont's?

Torquay area is good. Not sure what the conditions are like currently but likely at least as good as anywhere else around the UK I expect - you are sheltered from prevailing (but not all) winds & you have benefit of Gulf Stream warming. Exact location is not critical, just explore the various bays that take your fancy. Be safe, be courteous & don't upset the anglers ;)

Thanks bud. Ok sounds good. Pretty excited, was looking at Thurlestone.
Like you say I'm sure its all much of a muchness. Its more a case of getting out there and doing it than expecting a huge haul for dinner.

Thurlestone is good but, unlike Torquay/Torbay, is exposed to prevailing winds (popular with wind surfers) - so conditions are often not good. Best to visit when the weather is settled/calm & sea is flat; access is via tiny country lanes.

The vis isn't great the the mo, but it should be getting better.
I dived Maidencombe today (which isn't known for its vis btw) around 2m. Should be slightly better around Torquay though. Hoping for better tomorrow.

The vis isn't great the the mo, but it should be getting better.
I dived Maidencombe today (which isn't known for its vis btw) around 2m. Should be slightly better around Torquay though. Hoping for better tomorrow.
Thanks for the vis update. Will travel up early tomorrow morning. We will just see how it goes. Shame if vis is bad though

So just to follow up. Saturday we tried a beach near Woodhuish (near Brixham). Good beach, half mile walk with kit,
not so bad. Vis was quite poor but fun had. No fish seen really.

Today (Sunday) we tried further south on a recommendation. We got to North Hallsands. Much better weather, mill pond, Much better vis,
maybe due to being further south and just more time as the sea has been calm for another day.
2 spearo's got in as well as us.
Much more fish and crabs spotted. Quite a few Brown and spider crabs and quite a few fish large and small. A really good 2 hours.
You could just spear from the surface really. We will definitely try that spot again.

Spearing from the surface and/or in shallow water works well in some places, some times. However, I often look for slightly deeper water these days, so that I can dive down - ideally into weed cover with some rocks around - and wait in cover for fish to swim over me. It is often makes for a more interesting dive and can sometimes be necessary to get under "bloom" to better visibility, or to get closer to fish. If you are down long enough, curious fish usually come in to investigate sooner or later, usually small fish first (most often wrasse or pollock), if you are lucky that is sometimes followed by increasingly bigger fish (e.g. bass or larger pollock) or school of grey mullet might try to slip quickly past behind you (look out for that one :D) - until you decide to take your shot...

H
Spearing from the surface and/or in shallow water works well in some places, some times. However, I often look for slightly deeper water these days, so that I can dive down - ideally into weed cover with some rocks around - and wait in cover for fish to swim over me. It is often makes for a more interesting dive and can sometimes be necessary to get under "bloom" to better visibility, or to get closer to fish. If you are down long enough, curious fish usually come in to investigate sooner or later, usually small fish first (most often wrasse or pollock), if you are lucky that is sometimes followed by increasingly bigger fish (e.g. bass or larger pollock) or school of grey mullet might try to slip quickly past behind you (look out for that one :D) - until you decide to take your shot...
hi I would love to get some info on a couple of spots if possible around the Torbay area and if obviously you wouldn't mind. I am just getting into spearing and live in Somerset so I only know a few local areas like brixham and towards berry head. I'm interested in more shallow areas at the moment whilst I get a feel for it but if you could point me in some directions I would really appreciate it. I tried brixham breakwater beach today and yesterday. Vis was better today as it calmed down but didn't see a thing as it still wasn't much better the 2 Meters. You can pm if you would prefer to keep it quiet! I won't disclose anywhere! Also if your everooking for someone to buddy up with I'm more then willing I'm free most weekends and am only an hour away from Torquay and other South Devon marks. Cheers, Karl

I have dived around brixham several times this season and havent got out of 1-2m vis max. so far only Pollack seen and only one moderate sized Pollack taken. It seems that going south around berry head and further afield does clear a bit. A few brown crabs taken also. It seems like the mackeral are very late to turn up this year and maybe the bass also?

I have dived around brixham several times this season and havent got out of 1-2m vis max. so far only Pollack seen and only one moderate sized Pollack taken. It seems that going south around berry head and further afield does clear a bit. A few brown crabs taken also. It seems like the mackeral are very late to turn up this year and maybe the bass also?
I fished off the break water also. The obvious lack of people fishing says it all usually you can't even squeeze in to cast but it's empty!

Can't be long though! I'm looking forward to seeing some nice size fish, I can't believe I have waited this long to try it!

Well I liked it so much I'm going again this weekend. Hopefully start point will offer protection again. Will be taking kayak for the wife to play around on. Maybe go a bit further from shore but I don't think It will be necessary. interesting what you say about the arrival of fish.
Hopefully they have booked in to turn up this weekend.

Karl szabo I am just getting to grips with the area myself. I will pm you details of what I find and maybe meet at another time

It seems like we have a fair bit in common Anthony, i like the torbay area and also take my kayak down for the mrs to play on, makes for an excellent marker bouy. Am i right in thinking your bristol based?

Ha, yeah pretty much. Just off junction 18 on the M4. Il be coming down this Saturday and camping overnight. Was gonna try
North Hall Sands. (I am aware of giving away spots, but Ive already mentioned it, and the fact that I caught nothing there).
Its easy to Kayak around there if its protected, which it should be. Maybe see you there bud, Il keep an eye out ay!

I currently live in Cheddar, hence my interest. Usually take my van down and camp that way. unfortunately ive not got anything planned anytime soon but if I head down I will give you a shout and see if your keen to go explore around start point/torbay.

H

hi I would love to get some info on a couple of spots if possible around the Torbay area and if obviously you wouldn't mind. I am just getting into spearing and live in Somerset so I only know a few local areas like brixham and towards berry head. I'm interested in more shallow areas at the moment whilst I get a feel for it but if you could point me in some directions I would really appreciate it. I tried brixham breakwater beach today and yesterday. Vis was better today as it calmed down but didn't see a thing as it still wasn't much better the 2 Meters. You can pm if you would prefer to keep it quiet! I won't disclose anywhere! Also if your everooking for someone to buddy up with I'm more then willing I'm free most weekends and am only an hour away from Torquay and other South Devon marks. Cheers, Karl
H

Hi my names leon and I'm new to this forum and I'm looking at starting spearfishing. I live in seaton. I haven't got anything at the moment I'm getting a wet suit next week. So I think to start with its going to be getting used to diving down and getting a feel for the water. There is a nice shelf off of seaton beach about 15' I think so it might be good fishing. I'm wondering if it might be flatty fishing to start. But I'm looking for some one else Round the local area that would be willing to practise diving down and just staying on the bottom and exploring for now!!

Hello eveyone

I'm new to this forum my name is leon I'm 29 and I live in seaton.
I am looking at starting to spearfish in my local area to start with. I am getting a wet suit next week, I have a snorkle and eventually I would like to build up the equipment but money is a bit tight at the moment so will build it up gradually. So I just need to get used to diving down and holding my breath for now and get used to the surroundings.
But I'm really keen on idea of spearfishing, I used to fish a lot with my wife but since we had my boy we having really done anything apart from makeral bashing. I have had a bad back for just over a year so I haven't been as active as I was, I used to be nice and fit. I used to cycle 15miles+ a week so I need to get my fitness back up again. My physio said swimming in the sea would be great to strengthen my back up. Also it will help with my stress levels and the weightlessness really helps my back.

I was wondering if there was anyone in my local area that would be willing to take me out from the beach and give me some pointers and tips on getting me started.

Thanks for your time

Hi all

Made the trip down again this weekend. (I'm obviously getting hooked). Bought a Cressi Geronimo 75. They seem good value and
I found that big guns + sitting in kelp = low maneuverability. Tried North Hallsands again, with wife in kayak, and caught a Pollock. It was only just minimum size. We had it for tea anyway so the process was complete.

Next day tried the beach at Blackpool (no not that one) the town next to Stete. Beautiful beach. Drizzle kept the tourists away. 2 anglers which was encouraging. Low visability but good hunting. Saw some large wrasse. I had heard they were not good eating so left them alone.
Could have quite easily took some as I was diving straight into the kelp (maybe 4- 6m) and just sitting still. They appeared all around.
Spoke the the anglers who said wrasse are a nice meat but people don't tend to eat them due to them being so boney.

I would like some guidance on the size of fish I am allowed to take without feeling guilty. Im sure there is some .gov website but would rather just be told. Gauging size underwater is tricky.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT