• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Going to Ibiza?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Crispin

Spearfisherman ;=- --->
Sep 14, 2001
Just curious to see who's off for some autumn sunshine and clear water and beer!

If you are i'll see you there (I'll be the one in the Freediver t shirt looking for an internet connection to upload pics)

:)

HI!

I might see you there if I make it to enter the Croatian team!
R u a UK team member?!

No, I work for Freediver magazine, and freedive and spearfish too.....

See u there Jero - and good luck in making the team

Croatia

Best of luck, jero. I know you will do your best. I would like to hear of your exploits and training if you feel inclined to post them.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Hi!

Thanks everyone for support! I really need it at this moment.
Erik did his first competition last week, and I was so inpatient to see his results. He really kicked some butts with static! I guess now it's my turn!
Croatian tryouts are on the 22nd and 23rd of this month and I am training for it since the start of this year. I managed to get -51m constant and 6'20'' static. If I could repeat my PB's on the competition I wouldn't worry much.
But, I don't know will I be able to relax on the competition.:(

So, wish me luck!!

Competition Strategy

Jero,

Hope to see you in Ibiza!

You might want to think about your announced performances. How many times have you reached 51m? Once? Four times? Even a metre or two less than your PB makes a huge difference in a competition environment, especially if this is your first. At the Canadian nationals I announced 46m even though my PB at the time was 47.7m. I wanted to announce 48m, but I listened to Eric Fattah's wisdom and announced a shallower depth. The dive was great! There are so many other things to deal with in a competition, it helps to be confident in your depth. If you are worried about the other divers you are competing against, the best thing you can do is be super confident in the depth you are trying to make and let them screw up. If they want to beat a pb in competition, let them take that risk. Besides, I believe freediving should be a personal sport, one that you challenge yourself. So why make it extra hard when you don't need to?

As for static, is your 6:20 in the pool or dry? If it's dry, you definitely will want to try a few wet statics before you compete, because things can be very different when you get into the water. Announcing a shorter time also makes it better if you have a horrible day. You will still get points even if you don't approach your PB.

Good luck!

Pete

Thanks for advice!

Let me first of all say that I finished Pellizari's Apnea Academy course. On our trainings we discussed competitions and competition performances and a general idea was to always announce 5 meters less then your PB.
We also did a lot of pool statics on a course and I continued to work in the pool since. My bad luck is that I have acces to only an outdoor pool at 6 AM so it gets very cold. In these conditions I can't do high performances. The 6'20'' was a dry static and it was on a first try after warming up. These days I can go every day arround 6 minutes. But I would be happy if I can get 5'30'' in the competition wich will be held in (I hope) warm pool.
I was thinking about my announced performances a lot and I guess it is going to be about 47-48 meters. I don't really want to pressure myself with trying to beat my PB on competition. For static I will announce as Peter said a shorter time since I really don't know will I be able to relax on my first competition ever.

Thanks again

Static

Hi jero, your pb's are outstanding, and i know you will do well. I did, and will continue to do my warm ups on land, then only go in the water for the attempt. I wore the top of my 5mm Picasso suit and a pair of shorts in the warm swimmimg pool I competed in. Even in a warm pool I get cold, and know that i would lose time because of it.
I am quite excited to hear how you do....I will send lots of "good vibes" your way.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Thanks for the vibes!

Warming up on land is a good idea and I've been thinking of doing just that. On my pool practices I was warming up on land for about 30 minutes then do one static in the water and that seemed like a thing to do on a competition.
Erik, on your static did you breath up thru your snorkel with face in the water or were you breathing up with face outside of water?
Does enyone else have an opinion of what is the best way to breath up before static?

I AM going!!!

:D
Although Croatian trials never took place due to technical difficulties I managed to get into the team based on my training results! So, see everyone at Ibiza!!!

Congratulations!

Congratulations, jero!

With the depths and times you've been mentioning, you'll do your country proud. If you see a bunch of people in silver Picasso suits then be sure to say hi; Pete (laminar) and I are both on Team Canada and would love to meet you. It will be nice to put some faces to names.

Tom

Thanks!

I guess I'll see you there!
I saw your silver Picasso's on pictures so I'll recognize you with no problem. It will be great to meet one of the best teams in the world - Team Canada.

C ya!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT