• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

going to Kos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Johan

Jul 12, 2002
hello everybody

I am going to Kos / Greece next Friday (September 6 )
the main purpouse is just to have a week off, get drunk, eat good and so on. but off course, there will be a lot of floating around in the water face down looking for octopuss to play with.

is there enybody else here that are going to be in that area, perhaps we could meet up?....

send me an email at johan@luthman.se

I'm holding my breath...

Johan

Greek Stories

Johan,

Looking at the calendar, you are due back anyday now. How about posting your vacation dive adventures on the freediving stories forum!? Those of us working against impossible deadlines would love to hear about the Agean In September.

back from Kos

hello again..
yes, now I am back...back in a cold and rainy Sweden, back at work :( already miss my newfound friends :waterwork
Ive been to the Dodecanese islands in September before and always had a great time. since Im now 30 I cant party as hard as I used to, so September is perfect ( all the 18year old partyanimals have gone home ) temperature was around 30C in the daytime and around 23C at night, water temp was around 25C at the surface and not much colder at depth
if you are going to that area to dive, perhaps Calymnos would be better to dive around than Kos. I tock the dive boat Liamis from Kos harbor to a beatifull little bay on Calymnos where there was a lot of caves and caverns that I could dive in to. At one place you can dive in under the rocks and there is light coming in through a hole in the cave roof..beatifull...next stop was something they called "the blue hole", its an old volcano crater siting on the bottom of the seabed. it starts at about 6meters and then goes down to 24meters, and although it is only about 8meter across at the top, 3 wrecks have found theire way down there...it was a little spooky to go down the first time, coming from the bright blue water going in to something almost as dark as a Swedish lake, but when I turned upwards the first time it was obvius how the place got its name... I often hear people say there isnt much life in the Medetiranian sea, but I have to disagree, its just a little hard to spot sometimes...one day I saw a lot of a silvercolored fish the greek call Sipoura. its considered a delicatess and very hard to come by in the restuarants and tavernas, so I tock the opertunity, went up to an old diver and used the very little greek I could speach, pointed at the sea, said "Sipoura" then pointed at myself and said "esi, harpoon" wich basicly means " you" and "speargun" . He got the message, lended me a small speargun with three tips and about 45minutes later we where standing around a fire, squising a lemon and sprinkling some salt over that delightfull fish :p although his english was even porer than my greek, we had a great time...surely, there cant be any nicer people than the greeks on this planet.. there was also plenty of octopuss in the water, but although I love to eat them I could never catch them myself. If you've ever played with one you know how intelegent they are. you can scratch them gently between the eyes and see how the enjoy that, and also put your hand in front of them and let them examine you, find out what you are, make a friend...it would be like eating a family pet...
Ive only been home for two days but in my mind I am already back with Nikos the diver and Athena and Perikles on the dive boat and all the others I met...

...still reading? ...it got a little long,sorry. I hope I managed to paint a picture for you...

Johan

encore...encore

:friday :friday :friday
Thankyou Johan. I needed that after working all weekend...

:waterwork :waterwork

Enviously,

Aaron

Johan

Sounds like you had a good time in Kos. "Tsipoura" (a type of porgy for the English-speakers) is certainly a very good fish. I am suprised you were able to spear it with a little speargun. They are usually pretty skittish. In the Med, you don't see the variety and quantity of fish you see in the tropics but it certainly has some great fish if you know where to look. The problem is that the depth is usually prohibitory. Big grouper may be lurking under the rocks and pelagics (amberjack, tuna, etc) frequently visit certain capes. I have even run into monk seals and sea turtles which are endagered in the Med.

Sounded like a nice time with some nice people :)
And yes, the partying gets a little lighter with age ;)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT