• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

going to palau, micronesia in mid feb...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

porsc

Profound Pursuits
Jan 27, 2006
hey guys,
i'm heading back to micronesia next month, then shooting down to belize in march. if anybody is going to be in either of those areas during these time frames, i would love to meet up.

are you stoping in guam? if so respond and I can show you around if you have not been here before.

i am going straight to palau, although if i would have known, i would have loved to stop by. i was in guam in the 80's, when i was in the military. nice little island, you can see the whole thing in a day. but i really loved going there. how often do you go to palau? if you care to meet up in palau, i would love the company. I will arrive in palau on feb 17th.

Last edited:
I am in the military, and can not leave too often, but I went 6 month ago and basically did a sams dive tour, of course I would do it differently now. And if you have not been to guam lately the road around the island is paved the entire way!!! horayy! But I wont be able to go to palau anytime soon. unless you have an insight to cheaper airfare.

are you air force? i was also in the air force when i visited guam. wow the whole road is paved?!! that's great! why do you say you would do it differently today, if you went to palau?

Here is how our last trip went. we (my wife and I ) went for 14 days. every day was a 45 min+ boat ride out to the dive site, not including return and with diving in a group that is not your choosing you have to dive according to the weakest diver in the group. We are excellent breathers and not the air hogs the seem to accompany us on every dive. on a few dives I will be a 2000 psi and enjoying a drift dive when the guide taps me and points up where half of the other people are already on the surface, I show the gauge and he shrugs the shoulders and we go up. really sucks. makes you want to rush the dive. also some of the guides for sams tours were not all there. one guide on a drift on the bottom of the island another hour plus boat ride there, ignores the group on the dive and is 60ft ahead the first half, and when the stranger who is now my best friend(sarcastically) after the hour boat ride shoots to the surface because they dropped there weight belt at 70ft because they dont know what they are doing and I go grab their ass to prevent the bends the dive guide has no idea this is happening and I spend the rest of the dive with rocks in my pockets and the instructor still off in mary jane land. one of many experiences... I would recomend this. hire a boat with a few of your friends, that way you have your living quarters at the site, you can suck all the air that you want and not piss me off you dont have to do the same dive 20 times and you can spear fish and surf I asked about those two and they just laughed even when I said I brought my omer 130... maybe a bit more for a few people, mabye a bit less than the packege for more people, but you have your friends and you have all the diving you want without the haslle.
that is what I would do differently
oh and the navy is my thing

well, if i am diving in a group with plenty of air left, and the guide taps me on the shoulder to show me that the whole group is on the surface, i would continue my dive. i am paying to dive just like everyone else is, and in the end, the rule is that each diver is responsible for themselves. the guide is just a guide. it definitely will not kill the others to wait a little bit for others who have better air consumption to complete their dives. this is the first time i have ever heard anyone say anything even remotely negative about Sam's tours.

yes I quite agree with you...and overall the trip was ok, I hope that your trip is better. ohh and if the hotel sucks if you ask they can usually put you up in a better hotel. good luck and the diving rocks!!!!, I just wish I could have freedived and shot some of those humpheads!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT