• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Going to the Scilly Isles - freediving with scuba groups?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
I'm off to the Scilly Islands with my wife for a week in August this year. :) The water there looks incredible (sooooo clear) and it looks like the prospects for some diving are very good. However I won't have anybody to dive with (as usual :( ) so I was considering seeing if I could join up with a scuba group just so that there are some other people around. I know that I can't rely on them for safety cover but I'm not going deep and it's got to be better than nothing.
I usually dive alone as there is never anybody to dive with, but it's much more fun going with other people and I might be able to have a look at some wrecks too (there are 666 around the islands) if I can go on a divetrip with some scubies.
Any ideas anyone?

This is a post I never thought I would see. Someone going for Scillys and to freedive.
I have been there five times, but not for freediving. Sailing mostly.
Water is very clear compared to UK and northern europe. There are no real oportunities for deepdiving on a rope, but it would be a shame to spend time on that when there are so many other dives one can do.
Wrecks you have mentioned (I havent done that yet so please tell me if and where you do that)
Seals - you defenitly should go to the northern isles on an scuba/snorkel excursion - I did that and could almost touch the seals.
Apart from that there are nice forests of kelp (or whatever you call them) nice to snorkel through.

I'm not really into really deep diving, but I do love to just swim about somewhere between 2m and 15m. The water looks incredible - some of the photos I've seen look like something out of the Carribean!
I intend to go on a snorkel excursion with the seals, it sounds great and my wife will come along too (she has never done any snorkelling, so that'll be a real treat!).
I will let you know if I get to dive on any wrecks. I am hoping that I might be able to join a SCUBA group and freedive around them. Maybe. Don't know if scuba divers like this though. We'll have to wait and see...
Thanks for the advice - any other comments anybody?

I think I would do as the Romans do. If everyone else
scubas maybe that is the best thing to do there?
I would scuba with a group or if it looked like great conditions,
I might freedive by myself. Whenever I go by myself I make sure to let someone know where to look for the body, so my life ins. will pay.

Sadly I don't have enough money to scuba. I would if I could but I just can't afford the course or any equipment. So it looks I'll be freediving alone again. Well, snorkelling. I won't venture deep or long. Shame though, it would be cool to make the most of the crystal clear water there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT