• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Michael Richard

Feb 22, 2017
Good afternoon!

My name is Mike and I'm a senior at Florida Atlantic University studying Business Economics. I grew up in South Florida my entire life, so the beach and the ocean alike are practically apart of me. I'm recently getting into free diving and spearfishing myself with this project that I've been apart of in my Entrepreneurship course.

I wanted to get the community of diving and spearfishing enthusiasts' opinion on a problem that my friend (group mate) has noticed as well as your opinion on a potential solution to this problem.

My buddy Jake is an avid spear-fisherman and beach diver and he's realized the issue of keeping shot fish on your stringer first-hand when his buddy was attacked by a bull shark (please excuse any jargon errors, and the buddy is alright!). Along with other incidents and research done online, Jake came to figure there was a safety problem with keeping a stringer of fish on you while spearfishing.

1) Do you think there is a safety problem with keeping shot fish on your stringer underwater while you spearfish?

So, we decided to use this potential "problem" idea for our entrepreneurship course project and chose to try and approach it with a solution. We figured if we could create a more convenient, cost-effective, and SAFE way to spearfish, we may be able to get more people out in the water. We decided to recreate traditional dive floats that we found on the market. A big reason for doing this was Jake realized that a majority of the floats for sale were very costly and didn't offer too many features.

We initially designed a hard-shelled float that would serve as a fish box/bag with added features like hooks/straps for your gun, an extendable flag, as well as a dry box for your material items and potentially a bladder for fluids. After contacting potential consumers, we revised the design to ultimately be a backpack float. This backpack float is not only convenient, it will be cost effective and provide that safe spot for fish storage while your'e out on the water. You can also take it on dive trips with ease!

My second and more important question to you is, as divers and spear-fishermen yourselves, what would you like to see out of this "back pack float"? What materials would you guys recommend? How much do you feel comfortable paying for your floats? What do you dislike about the floats on the market today?

I apologize for the lengthiness of this post, but we really need your opinion to create this optimal product for you guys.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or ideas please feel free to reach out.

Thank you!

Yours is a very specific question. I'll move it on over to the Spearfishing Equipment subforum, where it is more likely to get the right answers.

Welcome to Deeperblue, by the way :)

Reactions: Michael Richard
Yours is a very specific question. I'll move it on over to the Spearfishing Equipment subforum, where it is more likely to get the right answers.

Welcome to Deeperblue, by the way :)

Thanks a lot BatRay!

I appreciate the warm welcome and I'm glad to be here! :)

It could be a great piece of equipment for divers if carefully set up. How would you keep the fish out of the sun and in water while keeping the blood out of the water? Weight is an immediate problem for something like this. A hard shell will weigh more than an inflatable one. Comfortable back panel and straps for carrying would be necessary, as well as a tow point that minimizes towing effort. Look in the online catalogs for price. I really don't have a clue.

Reactions: Michael Richard
It could be a great piece of equipment for divers if carefully set up. How would you keep the fish out of the sun and in water while keeping the blood out of the water? Weight is an immediate problem for something like this. A hard shell will weigh more than an inflatable one. Comfortable back panel and straps for carrying would be necessary, as well as a tow point that minimizes towing effort. Look in the online catalogs for price. I really don't have a clue.
Thanks a lot for your response. We've had a couple of ideas for how to keep the fish out of the sun. The actual fish bag is going to be inside of this marine grade backpack material. The fish will be iced and the bag will be insulated so that the heat is reduced as much as possible. Again, we're in product design phase and we're seniors in university so budget is low. As for how to keep the blood out of the water, again, the fish will be in a designated fish bag. On top of that, we're researching about how to potentially partner with HECS somehow apply their suite technology to our bag. Another potential idea was to add an additional tight packed inflatable (something that can fit in a small pocket) with a BC to fill up before you go out there. This inflatable would potentially elevate the bag off of the water multiple inches allowing the bag to rest on the inflatable above the surface. Weight will be minimal due to our backpack design. Unless you're speaking about the weight of your products on our bag when you go out. We decided to go against a hard shell. We also had a consumer mention drag as a potential problem for drag so we plan to make the back panel that rests on your back a sort of foam that is sturdy, bouyant, comfortable and that cuts through the water with ease minimizing drag issues. Straps will be detachable from one side and potentially come around the front of the bag and strap around, out of the way. Still working on a tow point. We will take our minimum viable product out for some tests ASAP. We hope to land a price point somewhere between $100 and $150. A safe, convenient and cost-effective to what's on the market today. You totally had a clue!

A product that is popular in California seems to meet most of your requirements.

http://www.banksboard.com
Thanks for the information Bill! I think the major differences between the Banks Board and our product is that ours is an actual backpack. Softer design, probably not as much buoyancy, but it won't be something that you'd swim out on. Mainly, for shore diving, our product will also be around $100-$150. Not only marketed as a spear diving product, it's also targeted at divers of all levels of experience. I appreciate you letting us know about the Banks Board

In Australia lots of people have been using a cheap boogie board as a float with a bag strapped on top as a fish keeper. Personally I use a boat fender float and I string fish. Yes, I loose a few to sharks and very occasionally they take an interest in me. I'm interested in adopting better methods, but its at the bottom of my to do list at the moment.

It would be interesting to see what you guys come up with. Do feel free to post updates as things develop.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT