• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
Hi all, I am on holidays at the west coast of Canada, and have not had much acess to the Net. I just finished a Kirk Krack clinic, and highly suggest that you attend one if you have the means. I learned a lot about safety and technique, plus got a new PB of -42 metres (the bottom of the line). I'm sure I can go much deeper with more practice, especially with the skills and confidence I gained during Kirk's clinic.
I made some great friends who are all hardcore freedivers, which I think are the best sort of friends to have!
Cheers,
Erik

Erik, Congratulations on your -42m. Nice going. When are you going to try out for the Canadian team? Angus :D

Well done Eric, I'm glad you are having a good time out west. Did you notice any differences diving in saltwater rather than in the lakes back home?

When are you back in Alberta, I'm itching to get out and try Lake Minnewanka :D.

Training and competing

Hey all, I found that diving in salt water was easier in some respects, probably safer overall. I was weighted to be neutral at about 17 metres, so it took a fair bit of effort to get down, and more effort than it does in fresh water. Once I reached the turn around point, it did not take as much effort to ascend as in fresh water. Once I reached -10 metres, I was barely kicking at all, as the bouyancy pulled me up much faster than in fresh water.
So, I think that the extra effort to get down would give me a bit of a safety margin, because I would get the urge to breathe sooner, and not go deeper than I was capable of returning from, which might not be the case in fresh....make sense? I have VERY little experience in salt water, but I think Eric Fattah could elaborate on this further, as he has spent a lot of time training in both environments.
I am going to try and compete in the Canadian Regionals in September if I can get away from school.
JMD, I'm back in Edmonton, and will send you a PM.
Cheers,
Erik Young

bouyancy

Greetings Erik,

Salinity adds alot of bouyancy in some locations. When I was diving in Belize I only used a diveskin for protection from solar, jellyfish, and coral abrasion, and no weigths. The gulf is even more saline than the ocean. I had to work until I was past 20m, then it seemed that I had a much larger neutral envelope before I became negative at about 30-35m. It was the most free freediving I have ever experienced. With only a few strong pumps out of neutral and I accellerated to the surface. The only downside was managing all my positive bouyancy when I wanted to explore the shallows; I became quite adept at arching my back to keep my fins above my center of lift and slowly strumming my fins to hold at certain depth. Next I am planning to take one of those belts that can be filled with sand, gravel, or rocks and just load up at the dive location. I dream of returning to the warm water, no weights, crystal clear visibility, and wildlife everywhere I dove along the reef. Good luck in September. Are you still going to the Bahamas? Warmly, Angus

No warm water

Hey Angus, I am not going to the Bahamas or Bermuda now, as my wife has taken a job teaching in Bahrain, in the Persian Gulf. She is leaving very soon, so we decided to just do the west coast this summer, plus I have a 10 day commercial dive job coming up before I go back to school. I love the west coast as much as any place else; it's great diving but much more challenging. That said, I did do one week of fdiving in Playa Del Carmen last year and loved it. It's the only place I ever dived that I could see the bottom at 25 metres while I was breathing up. So, I could probably get used to that!
I have registered for the competition on Sept. 8 and 9th in Vancouver. I'm going to go for 5:30 static, 75 metres dynamic, and at least 50 metres in the constant, but I wont be able to test that depth up here, as there is nowhere that deep available. I am going to try and look at it as a learning experience, since I've never competed before. That would be a PB, but where better and safer to try? I'm sure that I can be reasonably competitive, not counting Eric Fattah, who has been doing training dives to -88 metres in preparation for his world record attempt next weekend...in dark water that is 5C at depth! Good luck Eric, we are pulling for you!
Angus, have you moved inland yet?
Cheers, Erik Young
:)

Moving

Angus, I just read your posts about moving inland....have a safe trip, and good luck with your internship.
Cheers,
Erik

Should be easy

Hey Erik, From what I have read about your ability I don't think you will have much trouble at the competitions. Although I have often wondered how different FD competition would be with the need to relax and stay out of the fight response that is so beneficial in most other sports.

Have you done any visualizing the competition environment along with relaxation training to condition your relaxation response for the competition environment? I know that you do a lot of yoga which should help but some of the ability to keep calm in competition just comes from experience.

It is probably not to different from when we decide to go deeper than we ever have and need to keep the flight response in check. From what I understand about FD48 and his areas of interest he might have some really cool techniques and ideas about trance states which could be extremely useful. Anyway, these are just my two-bits worth of support on things that you have probably already handled - so just think of this as my support and desire for you to wax the competition. Pulling for you, Angus

Athletic Supporters

Hi Angus, thanks for the support; I'll take it all!
Yes, the question is....can we maintain a relaxed state in a competitive environment? I usually respond well in a competitive situation, but I guess we'll see. I have been a hard rock drummer since I was 10, and spent many years on the road playing in heavy metal bands. A good rock drummer has to be relaxed while still generating a lot of energy, despite extreme volume, trying to keep good time, and not getting carried away with the "vibe"(is that a word anymore?). I wouldn't be scared of the depth in competition because I know the kind of safety prorocol there is, but I would worry about disqualification from SWB, etc. It will be fun, and I will meet some great people, which is the most important thing.
FD48 wrote a great book about trance-dancing which I read. I spend a fair bit of time in trance-state, with yoga, running, meditating, and freediving. I haven't done a lot of visualising in the past, but I have been visualising for this competition daily.
Thanks again,
Erik Young

GOOD LUCK

Erik,

This will be my last post for awhile as I just about to pack up the computer. I'll get back in touch once we're settled in Utah. Good luck and I hope your training goes well. Warmly, Angus

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT