• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Goodbye to UWDV.COM, Hello to Immersive Video Journalist

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cliff Etzel

PFI Freedive Instructor in training, Photographer
Jul 7, 2000
As some of you may know, I published a site devoted to shootng video underwater - UWDV.COM.

Well, I'm announcing at the end of February 2008, UWDV.COM is going offline for good.

As of yesterday, I have gone live with a new blogging portal entitled "Immersive Video Journalist".

Immersivevj.com will address not only shooting video underwater, equipment choices, etc, but will wax specifically on such topics as freediving while shooting video, content distribution, story telling techniques in the Solo Video Journalist Paradigm, web video journalism, dive trips and workshops for freedivers, freedive training and other related topics. The site will utilize the IM6 paradigm - Integrated Media 6 ways, combining video, audio and other forms of digital content to create a site that is engaging to viewers who will experience more than just reading static text.

Read what my cyber-colleague and VJ mentor David Dunkley-Gyimah has to say about the new paradigm of underwater video journalism.

I encourage you to subscribe to the RSS feeds available through Feedburner and Technorati as a means to keeping informed about new postings. This is the new wave of content portals and I hope that you will chime in and let me know what you think. Tell your colleagues and dive friends.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Warmest regards and safe diving.

Reactions: Jon
Best of luck with it Cliff hope all goes well. site looks very good with a lot of content to read.

Thanks Feargus - more content is being added 2-3 times a week and covers the gamut of issues related to shooting video underwater - especially while freediving. I'm working out the specifics on dive trips especially for freediving videographers so check back and let others know about it. I'll hopefully be here more often to chat with others about shooting video while freediving.

Cliff,

What made you finally give up on still photography and switch to video?

A, scuba, friend of mine just did the same thing last year- sold off all the still photo stuff and went HD video instead. He said he couldn't keep up with all the changes in DSLR's and just went full force into video.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a DSLR, but the more look into it the more I realize it's way out of my price range if I want to do it right.

Jon

Jon,

I have been a photographer since the age of 15 - that makes it 30 years now. It just became the same thing over and over. Video is a whole new animal. I just made the transition to a couple of SONY HC7's and a Light & Motion Bluefin HC7 with w/a port and HID lights. I don't use the lights much but I use the housing/w/a port while freediving (did that with my previous SONY/L&M setup).

I was a photoj shooter for 10+ years so I enjoy the challenge of telling a story with images - but now I work as a Solo video journalist and I enjoy not only shooting, but editing and delivering the final project.

Shooting video now gives me the same rush like it was when I shot stills 20 years ago.

The site looks great, Cliff! I've added your RSS feed to the general Freediving Feed on APNEA.cz, into the video category. News from your site will be visible both in the main Freediving News APNEA.cz feed, as well as in the video category feed. Besides the RSS icon, there is also Add To Google button which simplifies reading of RSS news to those who are not familiar with the RSS technology - by clicking the button you can add the news to your Google home page.

Thanks Trux - a new audio podcast has been posted on Immersivevj so anyone interested, please have a listen and let anyone who freedives out there to visit the site and subscribe to the RSS feeds. I'm going to cover other topics besides just shooting video, but these other topics will support shooting video while freediving.

Yes, I noticed the new podcast already yesterday :) Thanks to the RSS feed it shows up in the news box on my home page practically instantly. I used your avatar as logo - so it is easily recognizable.

Thanks, Cliff, and keep up the good work!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT