• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

gopro questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jonny250

Job 41:7 can you?
Sep 8, 2007
Sadly my G9 Canon housing has finally failed, after much abuse and mis-use :naughty i came home a few nights ago and emptied the seawater out of my G9 and housing...
Amazingly the G9 still works, after i removed the battery and dried everything out, well pleased about that!

However, i found out that canon dont supply replacement seals for the buttons :rcard

So i'm deciding whether to replace the housing at around £190, or maybe get a gopro HD wide angle instead? and keep the G9 for 'dry' use.

I think the gopro requires a dioptre adjustment for underwater use - can anyone point me in the right direction for that - is that the only focussing issue that it has?
Does it matter which model of gopro to get, presumably the surf version?

any thoughts..?

I own the original gopro not the HD version and it is no substitute for my Canon Ixus 850IS. Sure the Gopro is small and easy to handle and produces reasonable video but for still photography it will never compete with the Canon. If you want to take still photos at all I don't think the Gopro is any substitute. I bought my Canon and housing on Ebay for £165 which is considerably less than the Gopro.

This photo was taken under an overhang in about 4m of water using the internal camera flash with the Canon. With the Gopro I would have nothing more than an underexposed blur.

Attachments

• Fan Worm, Budleigh.jpg
    Fan Worm, Budleigh.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for the link Nostres, and for the opinion spidey :)
i decided that i'd rather bodge my existing housing rather than bodge a new gopro housing, so will stick with the canon for now. i'm mazed that the gopro has such a problem with the housing/port.

designed for above water primarily with an :industructable housing. the lens is great above water and helps with the wide angle but the same lens not so good below water thats all easy fix and no doubt they'll have a new lens for it soon.
if you want your camera for photos then a new housing would be my choice, ikelite make descent housing which isnt too scary. better than the factory canon housing.

but for video the gp pro is better than most!

DD

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT