• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GoPro to Omer speargun mount

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

azapa

51% freediver 49% spearo
Jan 31, 2007
This would probably work on other gun with a reel that mounts in same fashion. The gun shown is a Cayman 90.

1. Make a template out of paper. The Material for the bracket here is 0.6mm INOX sheet. This can be trimmed with good tin snips. Use the paper or card template though, saves much frustration although it may seem fiddly at first.

2. You will want to replace the plastic roll-pin from the rear of the gun with a decent bolt. It not only secures GoPro to gun, but also reel to gun far better than the standard plastic pin!!! (YES, that pin is all that holds the reel base on the gun..). Buy a stainless hex bolt, M5 with a smooth section 30mm long, or longer as I did, and tap the threads more to length. This is impossible unless you have a M5 die lying around, sorry. The idea here is the nut tightens and locks, bottoming out on the non-threaded part, before pinching the tube. You could of course use washers. The nut is a M5 stainless nylock. Note that the line release side of the gun is where either the nut, or head of bolt must go. I opted to put the head there, after reshaping it to a round low profile. This is to avoid the line snagging there after release.

3. The bracket is bent in a vice between two nice square bits of hardwood, then marked and drilled. Drilling stainless is a PITA so use a center pop and nice sharp (new) 2mm HSS drill bits to start off the holes.

4. The GoPro sticky bases (very very sticky BTW) are placed on a lightly sanded area on the base, a pop-rivet stops loss if the glue decides not to be sticky one day. The pop rivet can ONLY go there, you can't use two.

5. Job done! The gopro mount shown comes with the standard Helmet kit. Some screws need trimming to match. If you trim the vertical screw nearest to the gun the correct amount it with act as a stop to flip the camera up to after loading, keeping the camera pointing the right way.

On first use it was very good, and I was very surprised to find that once in hunting mode, seeing fish, I would completely not see the camera. A one track mind helps here.

I did shallow dives due to the bad viz, up to about 14m, and noticed very little drag. I would not like to be encumbered with the cam over 20M though, although I'm sure the metal issue would be more than any real hydrodynamics.

BTW: on loading the camera is flipped to the side.

RESULTS, try in HD:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1-fJnmmZEw"]YouTube - Rollizo Mala Viz[/ame]

Can anyone tell me why my video's are so pixelated during the water filming bits? I mean, it was filmed in HD etc, must be my editing. All done with Cyberlink Power director using HQ settings and direct upload to Youtube. Where am i going wrong?

Attachments

• template.jpg
    template.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 197
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 195
  • bracket_bolt.jpg
    bracket_bolt.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 220
  • finished_no_cam.jpg
    finished_no_cam.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 249
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Reactions: acevedo joseph
Nicely done Simon. But doesn't that impede your view on the fish? Or do you view the fish directly on the camera videoscreen?

Hey Spago mate. No, the picture looks like the camera is over the spear but in reality it is about 5cm to the left. It gets in the way of loading though and is "rolled" down and to the left whist doing that.

I was thinking to black out the back of the case as the silver camera is very noticeable underwater. BTW, the GoPro's DON'T have a screen on the back, or even LED to tell that its recording (the LED is on the front).

I only used it for one day though in that soup-viz dive session, but to be honest, as soon as I got into hunting mode, I didn't even see the camera!

If I ever see the sea again (snif snif, damn Xmas, kids, events etc) I will try it again and comment. Probably in 2 or more weeks......

Hey Spago mate. No, the picture looks like the camera is over the spear but in reality it is about 5cm to the left. It gets in the way of loading though and is "rolled" down and to the left whist doing that.

I was thinking to black out the back of the case as the silver camera is very noticeable underwater. BTW, the GoPro's DON'T have a screen on the back, or even LED to tell that its recording (the LED is on the front).

I only used it for one day though in that soup-viz dive session, but to be honest, as soon as I got into hunting mode, I didn't even see the camera!

If I ever see the sea again (snif snif, damn Xmas, kids, events etc) I will try it again and comment. Probably in 2 or more weeks......

Indeed tha false perspective of the picture made it look like the camera was on the spear sightline. But I knew it couldn't be that way...:t

As for sighting fish through a camera screen, wouldn't it be a silly idea too? I mean: size and distance would be really hard to tell. Very techy maybe, but hey, Playstation is Playstation, Ocean is Ocean (God blessed for that).

I'll keep waiting for your videos, me mate. Wish it will be soon!

Thanks for that "recipe" - I will try to copy some of it... And then sit down and wait, wait, wait for spring... (sniff).

Morten

Well done azapa. Here's a simple alternative for no reel.

gopro-tripod-adapter-mount.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
nice and simple there! I needed a mount that could stay on the gun always without unscrewing etc. Thanks for your ideas.

i mounted the camera bracket in place of the reel on mine, and used the current firmware update to allow the camera to shoot inverted.

however i can tell you from experience that the Adhesive tape is not enough to hold the unit. i drilled and counter sunk bolts into the mount thankfully so i didnt loose the camera, however the adhesive was useless within 2 hours of use.

on a lighter note!

the red filter for those hopeless Camera masks works well with the go pro, they are a straight slip on. all that need to be done is the rubber mount be shaved down so that the red filter sits closer to the lens on the gopro. this gives youa filter that can be easily removed above or below water depending on your needs.

DD

DivingDane, do you have a pic of your setup? Also I'd love to see a vid shot from under the gun if you can provide a link.

Pursuit, will see what i can do.

no good at the video upload stuff, but its not a bad v iew. barrel stretches out at the top of the frame slightly towars the centre at the end of the gun and everything else is as normal.

will get a photo of the setup on here tonight maybe.

DD

Hey there mister Pursuit, I see from your website that you have many cool GoPro camera mounts in your arsenal (the mask camera mount looks brilliant).

Why don't you post something about that in the marketplace section of DB (Goods for Sale)? I guess that many of our forum members might be interested, and specific directions would be helpful...

Hi DivingDane and everybody ,
I am Albert from Malta. I am working on many brackets for the gopro hero hd.Now I have a universal bracket good for almost all gunns , railguns or not, exept wodden gunns.
My problem with gopro is the zoom. A big fish 5 meters away seems to be very small and far away.
I read about the red filter for preventing blure.Did you try this out please ?
I also read about a flat lense that also prevents blure. Its a kit with a flat lense and red filter that replaces the curved lense of the gopro underwater cover.
i wish to find something that reduces the wide angle.mine is 170 degrees wide angle.Is there something to reduce the wide angle , thus increasing little bit the zooming power of gopro ?
Regarding brackets and mounts, i agree with you about the adhesive is not so good.I dont even thrust the plastic joints.I reconstruct everything in stainless steel.Another good idea is using thermoplastic.This is a plastic that softenes in 80 degrees water and comes like jelly.one can make moulds and brackets of every shape.once cooled down it gets very strong.The good thing is that it can be heated again and reshaped as needed.This i buy from ebay.

Thanks for your support

i mounted the camera bracket in place of the reel on mine, and used the current firmware update to allow the camera to shoot inverted.

however i can tell you from experience that the Adhesive tape is not enough to hold the unit. i drilled and counter sunk bolts into the mount thankfully so i didnt loose the camera, however the adhesive was useless within 2 hours of use.

on a lighter note!

the red filter for those hopeless Camera masks works well with the go pro, they are a straight slip on. all that need to be done is the rubber mount be shaved down so that the red filter sits closer to the lens on the gopro. this gives youa filter that can be easily removed above or below water depending on your needs.

DD

Azapa....
Do you also have problems with the gopro flopping forward when shooting fish ( in the shot beacuse of rekyle..?)

I have that problem and cant really tighten the screws any harder.

Best,
Morten

Hey Morten.

Not really, but the only screw I keen "hand tight" is the one for flopping it to the side to make loading easier. The other screws I really tighten (even gently with pliers) before leaving the house.

My gun is a 90cm cayman though, the recoil is hardly anything, maybe your gun is more powerful?

good luck

Thanks.

I think I will need to do the pliers-screw then... - my gun is 90cm Omer Excalibur, so that shouldnt make a difference.

You see it a 0.52, 1.40 and 1,55

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OThB9a1oEEE]‪Spearfishing Copenhagen - Undervandsjagt i København‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The "round" corners I solved by choosing "5" as the resolution instead of standard "4".

Morten

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT