• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GoPro

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

qai4321

Jan 23, 2010
Hi guys, being a complete newbie in the photography department, I could use some advice. Ive been interested by what Ive seen the GoPro do and was thinking of getting one.

Anyone tried it in the water? How does it handle low light conditions? Im wondering if this is a good entry level underwater video camera.

Any advice to get started would be appreciated.

Q

its a great camera, but get a lense modification, there are a few threads on this, well worth the money--there is also a cheaper version now that doesnt shoot 1080hd so only spend the money for the 1080 if you have a computer that can handle editing the 1080

best advice i can ever give: make sure you buy an ORIGINAL MEMORY card and check the capacity and function with a full, capacity filling test recording before a 10 day trip to the bahamas.....

there is a great test program for memory cards that spots the fakes called H2testw

Hmm, i looked at getting a gopro when my G9 housing started to leak. I decided i couldnt cope with the very limited useability of the gopro, plus having to mod the lens.
I would recommend checking the cost/benefit of a coolpix + housing or something like that for the extra capability and useability.

simon, it sounds like there's a story behind the memory card advice... i hope you didnt lose everything?

Jonny, I lost 9 days of a 10 day dive trip. Some really beautiful dives, 'one-offs' so to speak. I was gutted. I'll just have to go back and do all those dives again ;)

Great advice guys. Its a bummer that id need a separate housing to make it work underwater. I didnt actually know that fact before hand so thanks monkeyhatfork.

Ill look into a point and shoot with a housing. Jonny250 do you recon extra light would be needed on a coolpix setup underwater?

That is true about the modified housing, but it is still most likely cheaper than any other comparables yes? And they still need a seperate housing purchased anyway.

Great advice guys. Its a bummer that id need a separate housing to make it work underwater. I didnt actually know that fact before hand so thanks monkeyhatfork.

Ill look into a point and shoot with a housing. Jonny250 do you recon extra light would be needed on a coolpix setup underwater?

True it does need a separate housing BUT all GOPRO cameras are supplied with a housing.

I use the hero 3 which is the old version, low light was a massive problem and fixing a filter in the housing only enhanced the problem so best avoid the hero 3

the newer cameras are not without there faults BUT they do shoot some cracking video and the housing can take a true beating also the size is a big PLUS as there is almost zero drag when attached to a gun ( if thats what you in to)

"I'll just have to go back and do all those dives again": Azapa

What a nice idea!

Connor

I'll just have to go back and do all those dives again ;)
Absolutely!!

I suppose it depends on depth, but i've not used extra light, except at night!!
I just use the standard camera flash for stills, not ideal but ok for macro.

Does the Gopro come with any lighting accessories?

Does anyone know where I can get a wrist attachment for the Gopro that has the camera facing forward? I saw it online once, but cant remember where :crutch

I made my own wrist mount from the helmet mount that comes with the Gopro. It works very well and faces forwards, ideal for the freediving flow (arms over head) type movement. I will post some pictures later.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT