• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Got a nylon line, but should I use dyneema/spectra?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

juan pablo

Sep 12, 2016
Hey guys, I'm completely new to spearfishing and I'm starting to buy some equipment. I will be fishing in Costa Rica so I bought a speargun (90cm) and a reel for it. The reel comes with 50m (around 170ft) of black 2mm nylon line. Question is, considering Costa Rica has quite a rocky bottom, and groupers/snappers tend to hide under these rocks, would you consider that the nylon line would be insufficient to withstand some rock abrasion? Should a dyneema be a better option in that case? I would still get my mono to the spear and the reel line. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_5574.JPG
    IMG_5574.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 242
I think it will work a few times until you get a stronger line like dyneema or spectra (providing you don't shoot anything HUGE).

Why not start with dyneema and get it out of the way?

mainly because I do not want to spend so much. but since it's going to be something I need to buy in the future why not? Just wanted to know if this nylon stuff is of any use

You could always wait until you lost a shaft when the nylon cut on rocks. Then you could buy dyneema and a shaft too. :)

Reactions: mariusshobo
hahaha, is braided nylon that bad?

I like Bill's advice, We sell shafts and dynema reel line.

The nylon line is plenty strong, but the abrasion resistance is an issue. The dynema line is much more abrasion resistant and almost certainly stronger as well.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Dyneema-Reel-Line-2mm-p/mdrl2mm.htm

If you are gong for an extended trip, you might consider buying a spare band and also a shaft and some rigging supplies as well. Shafts can be destroyed or lost in a blink of an eye, especially if a shark takes your fish for a ride. Also, since you said you were new, please remember that a dive knife or some cutting tool is essential for spearfishing - more so when using a reel.

Are you sure that nylon braid is only 2mm? Perhaps an illusion but it looks thicker to me in your image.
I expect it will be more than strong enough. Keep an eye on it though and replace it when the cuts and abrasions become significant.

Have a browse through this thread: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/dummies-guide-to-rigging-a-speargun.64504/page-8
I seem to recall forum member Miles tried various reel lines. I think he eventually ended up using some type of nylon paracord.

Reactions: landshark sa
I say keep the nylon for the reel. By the looks of it, it seems quite grippy and nylon usually provides more stretch (i.o.w. shock absorption) than polyethylene (Dyneema) both traits which are desirable for reel line.

It's the shooting line that takes the most punishment and the area I'm most concerned about. I prefer mono over dyneema. I find dyneema is too floppy and has no memory and this leads to knots in the shooting line and muzzle wraps. Dyneema is of course a lot more resistant to cuts than mono and even a small nick in your mono could lead to it breaking and a lost spear and fish.

So what I've done, is make a combination of Dyneema outer with mono core - the best of both worlds. I took the core out of standard 2mm dyneema and treaded 1.5mm mono through it and so far have been very happy with the way this setup is working.

mono_combo1.jpg

I normally use 2mm mono as shooting line and did some tests to see if the mono-dyneema will work with crimps and if the breaking strain will be similar. I'm able to break the standard mono with quite a bit of effort but broke my testing jig with the mono-dyneema, so pretty confident it's as strong, if not stronger, as the standard 2mm mono.

mono_combo2.jpg

Below is what it looks like after a big fish took me for walkabout through the bricks and as is evident there is some scuffing of the dyneema but the mono is still 100% intact.

mono_combo3.jpg

Lastly, I agree with Dano, if you are going on a trip, take some spares. Nothing worse than having epic spearing conditions and unable to dive due to broken kit.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT