• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

got em!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

w3ac

I should be working
Nov 8, 2002
Hey gang,
Needed to do some work on the computer but as usual had to check out the site and look around. Thought I might post my first picture ever. You can't see my face so the ear to ear grin is not apparent. I got this Ono last year. It was around 30 pounds or so. Not huge but good size for Hawaiian waters. This guy towed me around for a short time then sounded. He actually pulled both of my RA's 15 feet under a couple of times. My dive partner Josh took this photo. I thought it came out pretty good. Gitano will be here in a few days and hopefully, we can help him put a shaft into a few pelagics. Hope everyone else got wet. Swells from two different directions efffectively made my favorite dive spot undiveable. Went pig hunting instead but saw nothing except for a few small turkeys.

I agree with you Hawkeye, some of these fish have that cloaking effect as well as superior wisdom. The first Ono I ever saw came in at the most unopportune time. I had just stoned a nice Kahala (amberjack) and was feeling proud of myself when I looked up and was 20 feet away from a 40 pound Ono. All I could do was smile and swim along with the fish showing him my dinky Kahala. I think he was laughing at us because Josh had fired and missed while I was too busy stalking that stupid Kahala. Other times, they will sneak up on you even though you are constantly scanning in all directions. I scared off more than one Ono when they suddenly appeared next to me causing me to jump, effectively scaring them off. Smart buggers those fish.

Brad :martial

Attachments

• ono.jpg
    ono.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice fish man!

Much props to you & love the dramatic post :hmm

Reactions: w3ac
Nice one , Brad .
My first one was 14kg. ; only had about three seconds to feel proud before I noticed his +/- 25kg. buddy hovering next to me ...:head

Smooth points for da fish and da story, Brad. But the part about showing the dinky...? :mute Nice photo too!

sven

Nice...nice.....Congrats...:p :p .

If u can nail that slim body, a biiger size one should be easier to hit.....just more roller coaster ride I guess.:D

Yum Yum.............

I have yet to see one underwater.

Iya,
The bigger ones can be easier to hit. Can be. Because of their size, it is often hard to judge distance in the blue with nothing for background/size reference. You are right about the roller coaster ride though. Good fun man. One day you'll get yours. Keep jumping in on those feeding schools of yellowfin and soon enough an Ono will approach.

Hey Brad,

Is that a course in knot tying gone wrong???

Jeez man, talk about getting tangled up with a fish.

Nice one by the way bro'

Shane

Yeah kind of a mess there huh? Most of that tangle is mine but my partner did put another shaft into the fish just in case. For the most part, Ono are spent after one strong run. They tend to blaze on the surface for a good 25-50 yards then they sound for a couple of minutes. I follow the advise of a local legend. He said to pull them up like you were fighting them on 2 pound test and not 400. Baby them up, sometimes only using your finger tips. If they want to run again, let them go. I usually use the finger tip technique until I see that the fish is fighting on it's side. By this time, they are spent and I haul them up fast before any sharks show up. I have never connected with an ahi (tuna) yet but in that case, I would probably try to keep clear of all that line.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT