• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

gps?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

scrounger

May 1, 2003
i am looking to see what you would recomend for a kayak gps. it will be used to find my way back to the reefs and boulders that i find. so i cant forget where they were :duh
lance

I like my Garmin GPS III but there are newer models, I'm sure. I'm thinking to lightly vacuum seal it for kayak use.
Mark

I still use my Garmin 12, which is old, but it serves me well both for paragliding and on the see. There are newer models, and it all depends if you want a GPS with a map or just the coordinates will do. I can go without the map, but it is a matter of personal choice.

What is your budget?
What kind of water are you kayaking on? (eg: ocean, lake, river, what area?)
Are you going to use it for anything but kayaking?

No real point in going high end unless you are planning to load maps into it. Loading in maps of water requires purchasing map cd's and that decent maps are made of the area where you will be. That said, I love the mapping GPS units that I've had.

High end units offer mapping, routing, color, and some bells and whistles most people don't use. Can be very useful, but you'll pay for it.

If you want to keep it cheap and simple, get a $100 unit and you'll get everything done but the fancy stuff. The other nice thing is that watching $100 dissapear into the gloomy depths is a lot easier than watching $400-600 go. As long as it is WAAS enabled you'll find no difference in accuracy.

Check the Garmin website www.garmin.com and start comparing features. Drop a note anytime if you have specific questions.

FWIW, the last GPS handheld that I bought I got from www.tvnav.com I found them very knowledgable, they had great customer service, and they had the best price.

Hope that was helpful even though it was mighty vague.
Tol

ok some advice from someone that used to sell gps devices. as tol said there are basically two route: buy and expensive color handheld that will hold maps, show bathymetic data and depth contours (cost: $400 min for garmin 60c or magellan meridian color+$150 for maps=total of 600$ minimum), note: i strongly advise against this approach, you probably wont use the map functions as much as you think and the screens are too small and inaccurate to read it anyway. better option: buy a basic gps that has waas and can store several hundred waypoints (may or may not have a rudimentary map). these are every bit as accurate as the more expensive units. the second option is what i chose. unlike everyone else i prefer magellan to garmin, their stuff has a lot more memory for the money the screens are bigger and the menus are easier (they also tend to go on sale more, maybe becuase they are not as branded and look less "cool"). i use a magellan sportrak for my kayak and i travel with it too. you can now get a sport trak for under 100 and it has a hell of a lot more memory than the garmins of equal cost. it also floats and is water proof. if you live in the states the sports authority often puts its magellans on sale, sometimes you can get them with insane savings...well below cost. best, Phil

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT