• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Great tables, not that great max. …

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
U

UpNorth

I find this a bit weird, and hope someone will be able to give me some pointers:) For background info, I`ve been working mainly on my max. static(with a few apnea walks a couple of times a month) for my entire free diving career(a whopping 3 months…:joyful: been swimming a bit before that…).

My last 4 consecutive days of dry static training have been,

Day 1: 2:30 hold, 2:00/2:00/1:45/1:45/1:30/..., breathing, for a total of 8 holds(last breathing being 1:15)

then the following days I added seconds to the holds

Day 2: 2:40

Day 3: 2:50

and finally day 4: 3:00

The whole 3:00-holds-set was done completely without contractions. I prepare 2 minutes before the first hold. 1:15 of 4secs in/4 secs hold/10 secs out, and 45 secs of “blowing out a candle” done relatively slow). I know, not CO2-tables that often, but I felt like I was on a roll, so …:blackeye::whistle:).

Now the question I hope someone can answer is this.... My best static(dry) is 4:01, and considering I can do a 3-minute CO2-table with relativily ease(no contraction),

1. Have I been hyperventilating so that my 3-minutes in the table brought me, without contractions, to the point of BO, had I continued a few secs more?

2. Should I generelly spend more time with contractions(one-breath tables or such)?

3. Is there a factor(factorS) somewhere I`ve completely overlooked…?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!!:)

UpNorth

In order to get good at withstanding contractions, you need to endure lots of them in training.

Try a traditional CO2 table with 2:05 as your breath hold time with decreasing rests in between, going down to :15 or :20 sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a few words to try to help you. One of the problems with the classic O2/CO2 tables is the fact that it encourages/rewards hyperventilation. As you get better it, in the real world, becomes more difficult to gain anything by hyperventilating. The same thing applies to packing (in my case), for static. With a slight change in the CO2 tables, I managed to match my PB's so it didn't hurt my performance any and it is easier to do.
Five minutes rest with normal breathing and hold 'til the first feeling of discomfort, take seven breaths, same hold, take six breaths, same hold, 5/s 4/s 3/s 2/s 1/s 1/s. Until you have more experience it may be better to pick an easy hold time and adjust slowly. The breathing is deep, in in pause out out out out and about 4 per minute.

Bill,
The "first feeling of discomfort", is not necessarily contractions, or ..?

Really just a starting point. After a few dozen sessions you'll get a better read on your body. Your looking for a steady progression on the day and barely do that last hold. If you do the first hold without looking at the watch, you won't worship the numbers so much.

Reactions: cigarlung
Thanks sanso! A lot of interesting things(also non CO2-related) there!!!:)

Been trying Bills table a couple of times, and found that(if it's of interest to anyone:LOL:) that when I choose a starting time(in my case I found it to be 1:10) where I can JUST complete the last hold, contractions sets in in the end of hold 2, and 2 -3 secs after the start of hold 3. They`re there for the rest of holds, but only in the last half of the last hold, they`re REALLY "not that comfortable"…:LOL: Very different from the CO2-table I use before, where once the contractions set in I had about 30-45 secs before having to quit, here I can go to 1:10 and still feel ok.
Also, have to work(a lot….) on my one-breath-technique…..:whistle:

Really just a starting point. After a few dozen sessions you'll get a better read on your body. Your looking for a steady progression on the day and barely do that last hold. If you do the first hold without looking at the watch, you won't worship the numbers so much.
Look forward to talking to you live on this Bill see you Sunday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT