• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Great white come to visit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

foxfish

Silver Smoker
Dec 31, 2005
Lydia, a satellite-tagged 15ft, 2,000lb great white, is currently 1,000 miles from the coast of Cornwall and Ireland
She has swam 380 miles in 72 hours and is near the mid-Atlantic ridge If she swims over the mid-Atlantic range she will be the first recorded great white to cross the Atlantic

Bill, at one time (30 year ago) we had blue fin & albacore on our door step, there has been orcas spotted very recently too.
One spearo recounts a great story... he saw two huge tuna only 200mt from the shore & actually fired his 90 single band gun at one!
After the event (recorded in the locale paper) he estimated the fish to be in excess of 1000lb each, he said he felt the water displacing around him as they swam away.. you have to bear in mind we normally consider a 10lb fish as big!

Well, I can give you a tuna story, although not quite so big. About 20 years ago here in San Clemente where I live, a 130 pound yellowfin jumped out onto the sand. It must have been chasing bait in the shallows. Some tourists on the beach called the lifeguards to report a dolphin in distress. The lifeguards showed up in a jeep, threw the tuna in the back, and had a big barbecue at life guard headquarters that night.

I've always wondered how a diver would have reacted if he had been cruising in the shallows with a small gun looking for halibut and saw that thing come by.

I have already seen it mate, just outside the campsite beach, big fin cutting through the water ... it seemed to have this unusual markings on its fin... looked like a big G with a big L along side!

Reactions: lawstraljan16
I've always wondered how a diver would have reacted if he had been cruising in the shallows with a small gun looking for halibut and saw that thing come by.

There are quite a few Italian videos of spearo's being surprised by huge tuna in water only 15 - 20 feet deep. Quite a few people shoot at them - I don't thing any are ever landed though - here's a couple of good videos of them NOT being shot:

and another...

There are loads of them about - go onto YouTube and search something like "pesca sub tonno".

Dario has seen a tuna in shallow water first hand - if I remember correctly, he said it was like a train - it just bombed past him without a care in the world - when you're in water with 50ft viz in all directions - it must be a mind blowing sight!

Incredible-you are waiting for a six lb snapper and along comes a silver Cadillac --like the diver-Im awestruck.

awesome vids Bro!... I'd like to think I'd only shoot the second i saw... but I dont know!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT