• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Great white in Hawaii

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A friend of mine sent me this pic a while back of a GWS off Molokini, Maui:

see attached

Aloha,
This photo is proof that Great White Sharks are in Hawaiian waters. This photo was taken on January 4, 2005 in 40 feet of water at Reef's End, Molokini, Maui. The animals length is estimated at 14 feet. The photo was taken by an unidentified customer on B&B Scuba's dive boat. I stopped in at B&B Scuba on Monday, Jan 10 and verified the incident.

Attachments

• ShowLetter.jpg
    ShowLetter.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 248
Great link,

Thanks for sharing that info. I live in Kona on the Big Island and have freedove with many sharks including 2 15+ foot Tigers and hundreds of schooling Hammerheads, but I would love to see a Great White up close and personal as that guy did.

DSV

Hi DSV,

While I don't want to ruin your aspirations to see the GW up close I sought of hope you don't as I like having a beer with you when I'm in the islands:)

Ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated with sharks- especially the great white. I think it's their faces. They have so much character- so silly looking and yet so magnificently powerful at the same time. Such loveable beasts.

wow that's amazing, she looks pregnant too.. perhaps they give birth in the warm water. just a thought.

Wow!
You can see anything in Hawaii. I have been in Kealakakua Bay less than 100ft from shore in 90ft of water (under the cliffs) when a large marlin showed up. Got pics showing the animal and the sea bed to prove it. There have been whale sharks in the cove at Captain Cook monument. Seen large Tigers in there as well.
This September a twelve year old boy disappeared off Four Mile rd between Capt. Cook and City of Refuge, just a mile down the coast from us. Found his dive light and nothing else, in 20ft of water.....I was in the water less than a mile from Opal Reef in OZ last year when sharks got a spearo. I got pics of large sharks heading his way...
Big animals out there!!!
What a treat to see one.... I live in the SF Bay area and won't freedive in the West Coast US because visibility is usually closer than the large sharks are long! Seeing one in blue water with some visibility would be fantastic!
Lungfish

I mean.... just BLASTIN'

Was he jucky or is this common with ?pregant? shark???Well she defently had a snack before she met him!

she looks some how chilled.... and he defenetly knows what he is doing!

GWS in hawaii are very rare as the honolulu advertiser reported. In all my years living there, I've heard of 3 instances where the gws was seen (which includes this one)...however the other two times were reported by spearos where the shark came in to investigate because of the dead fish in the water.

In ancient hawaii, Hawaiians would catch tigers and gws to use their teeth for weapons(clubs) and their skins for drums,etc. They would lure these big sharks close to shore by bleeding animals for days until they came in very near, then managed to catch them. the Hawaiian word for shark is Mano, which describes both Tiger shark and Great Whites.

Imagine being hit by a big wooden club surrounded by a tiger shark teeth edge! :hungover

Attachments

• leiomano.jpg
    leiomano.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I was in Kona two weeks ago and I heard a few stories about a GWS being cited there a few weeks prior to that.

element410 said:
GWS in hawaii are very rare as the honolulu advertiser reported. In all my years living there, I've heard of 3 instances where the gws was seen (which includes this one)...however the other two times were reported by spearos where the shark came in to investigate because of the dead fish in the water.

In ancient hawaii, Hawaiians would catch tigers and gws to use their teeth for weapons(clubs) and their skins for drums,etc. They would lure these big sharks close to shore by bleeding animals for days until they came in very near, then managed to catch them. the Hawaiian word for shark is Mano, which describes both Tiger shark and Great Whites.

Imagine being hit by a big wooden club surrounded by a tiger shark teeth edge! :hungover

:crutch Ouch! Some of those look kind of like dentures though. Give us a smile :D.

Yea, I posted a thread on the story Sheepeck referred to. Apparently the guy died of a shallow-water blackout (according to the postmortum).... bummer.
You have to take it easy when you are alone....

element410 said:

As I recall, Captain Cook was struck from behind and killed by a blow from a warclub near the site of the monument at Kealakakua. Apparently that little stretch of land is officially British Territory still......

I think that the local martial art related to these clubs and eye gougers, etc is called "Loa" -

Sure is interesting how we keep finding exceptions to the idea that native humans were more gentle and in tune with their world, less exploitive, blah de blah de blah. Archeology continues to reveal that the native peoples of the past were probably far more warlike and aggressive than people are today...

A couple of those look like extreme brass knuckles! No fun for their enemy, ouch!

Last edited:
Those weapons do look kind of hardcore hey. But back to this shark, these guys are not to be underestimated, in clear water you could be ok and it might even be considered a thrill to see one, but I got chased out the water, which wasnt clear, by a 5m GWS two weeks ago. I checked to see where our boat was and saw the fin sticking out the water not very far from me and I also saw our boat speeding toward me, at that same time the shark turned and came directly at me. 5 or 10 seconds must have gone by by the time the boat got between us and I got yanked out the water, according to the skipper its head must have been less than half a meter from me. It was a very close encounter which I do not wish to experience again soon but I guess its unavoidable for spearos to get these encounters from time to time. What Im saying is this is an amazing creature but we know to little about them to accurately predict their behaviour and they are unbeleivably fast in the water. So be aware when you spot one.

doea anybody on here know who caught the biggest great white shark and what the weight was? some trivia for you.

Unofficially the largest white shark ever caught on rod and line weighed 3,427 lbs and was caught by Donnie Braddick fishing out of Montauk, New York. The IGFA wouldn't recognise the catch because the boat had tied off on a floating whale carcass and the wrong line weight was reported. I think the official record is held by Alf Dean of Australia-- it weighed 2,664 lbs.
Bigger ones have been caught by other means--snagging in fishing nets and longlines etc. In June 1981 a 3,938 lb 16.5 foot white was caught on a longline off Okinawa.
It's probably safe to say that there are some huge ones out there!!:(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT