• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Great White Shark Cage Diving South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

caravias

Dec 28, 2002
26 Degrees Celsius above me, 16 Degrees Celsius below me. To my right, a colony of Cape Fur seals, to my left, a colony of Jackass Penguins.
Where am I?
I am sitting on a boat in the Atlantic ocean just off the tip of Africa.
Why?
Because I'm on a quest to see the famous Great White Shark up close and personal. Think about it, with food on my left and food on my right, it's almost guaranteed that the White Death Predator will be in the center of it all, just below my shadow. The crew already started on luring in the predator. I wait & just as I'm about to turn my head, I see a fin slicing through the water. Although my legs feel paralyzed, I rise to my feet with adrenaline pumping through every vein in my body. I watch this predator gracefully making it's way to the bait. To my disappointment, it passes by & disappears underwater. I feel like yelling with frustration, but before I could even gather my breath I saw the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Out of the blue, from the depths of the ocean, I saw the huge mass of the White Shark thrusting through the water from beneath, it approached the surface at great speed and performed the most accurate and beautiful breach I ever could have imagined. It's whole body airborne for a split second until gravity pulled it down onto it's prey (The bait) with spot-on precision. The bait disappeared and did the shark leaving a violent froth of water boiling on the surface.
Now my mission!
To only have a steel cage separating me with a one on one encounter in HIS world! In 16 degrees Celsius water, the ball will definitely be in the court of 'Jaws'. This time, the shark is the tourist & you the zoo animal. Watch him smile & check you out, but you will soon realise all is not what was thought about this beautiful beast.
Next mission........ Touch him? Yeah, Babe!

You can dive with the Great White Sharks in Gansbaai, South Africa.

Gansbaai lies 2 hours from Cape Town close to the Southern most tip of Africa. You can get international or domestic flights into Cape Town and then hire a car or get a shuttle service to Gansbaai.

Gansbaai has many top quality accommodation establishments and also great meat and seafood restaurants.
Prices are very cheap and currently good accommodation range from R.250-00 p/p sharing including breakfast. When it comes to meals, a good restaurant dinner would range between R.100-00 and R.150-00 each which would include something like a starter, 500gram steak and a good bottle of wine.

Car hire is also relatively cheap and you can look at about R.250-00 a day for a standard car with unlimited mileage and super cover.

The diving is on the expensive side, but compared to the few other places in the world where you can do it, it’s EXTREMELY cheap! Not to mention that you will be diving in the place where the biggest concentration of White Sharks in one area occur.
The coast ranges between R.1000-00 and R.1500-00 depending on the season.
This includes your breakfast and lunch. Also drinks and snacks on the boat and of course all the gear you need.

Please note that we do not, like some other operators in other parts of the world, feed the sharks. We simply attract them by smell. We are very professional and never harm these animals. We have great respect for the ocean and all its living creatures. South Africa became the first country to make the White Shark protected specie in 1991.

The following sites will be able to assist you in making this extreme diving holiday a successful reality.

www.sharkbookings.com

This is a site dedicated to take all the fluff that people go on about out of the way and show you what all the White Shark operators really have to offer and how good they are.
From this site you can compare prices between operators and make your own mind up who you want to go with. Some companies pile the people on their boats while others try to minimize. Some offers 15 min in the cage and others offer more. This is a really good side for inside info and objective views about the different operators.
For any more info on white shark diving, you can contact me on elnacaravias@yahoo.co.uk

Going to South Africa

hi there caravias

i am leaving for a three week holiday in South Africa in a week's time!

i will be in Cape Town on Valentine's weekend and plan to do the White Shark thing.

In your posting you said:
"Please note that we do not, like some other operators in other parts of the world, feed the sharks. We simply attract them by smell. "

I am confused, were you there on holiday or are you working for an operator?

hi you 2.

Couldnt help over hearing you guys talking about my country. I live in south africa and have done quite a few of these shark dives. Just one question: Why go diving in a shark cage in 16deg celsuis water when you can go just a bit north and go dive in sodwana on 1/4 mile reef with the raggies or in umkomaas and protea banks with hammerheads and tiger sharks. The viz is in any way much better and the operators much more professional and cheaper (R120) a dive.

Is it just the legend of Great whites that atract you or is it the diving with any type of predator.

gertjie

howdy ho guyz! i went on a great white shark experience in gaansbaai in december... went out on a boat, threw some chum over board and dangled a frozen tuna bait... saw some big mean looking great whites alright!!! ... however, i didn't get to do the cage dive as the water was too choppy... so if any of you are planning on doing some cage dives, check with the local meteoroligist first :)

gertie, diving with predators is an excellent rush... so diving with the great white, which is one of the most fearsome predators underwater, is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool eh? there have been reports of great whites in our islands here as well, probably migrating from or to the oz's great barrier reef... i plan to check it out later this summer

I love shark diving!

the best dive I ever had was in MOOREA ISLAND in FRENCH POLYNESIA, 30 minute boat ride from TAHITI!

we dove with about 150 sharks!!!!! grey, lemon and black tip reef sharks!!

amazing dive with visibility of about 50 meters and beautiful corals! we also saw a big school of barracudas!!!

I dived with bathy's dive club and the dive costed about 70 Euros in 2002!

the dive spot is called Tiki point and its 27m deep!

This picture was made with a cheap underwater camera which I rented, in reality its much better! can you notice how many sharks are in the picture! at least 50!

Attachments

• sharks.jpg
    sharks.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 287
Reactions: island_sands
The only reason I agree with shark cage diving, is that it protects these amazing animals.

Great whites are the absolute pinnacle of evolution, they are a perfect design, one which was here millions of years before us. Yet we have managed, in little over 3-400 years to decimate them.

At least if South Africa is making money out of tourists wanting to have a picture they can boast about, then the sharks may have a better chance, but how long till all we have left is pictures, or tins of shark fin soup??

I may sound like an eco-warrior, I'm not, but I am very passionate about our oceans, which have for years been used as a dumping ground, and thought of as an endless larder. Man has for years exploited the oceans, and now we are starting to pay the price.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT