• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Great White takes woman from False Bay

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
and all that was left was her little red bathing cap!

:waterwork

Rather like the proverbial pair of smoking boots that remain after a spell goes horribly, horribly wrong!

Hiya

That is really tragic!!!!

A couple of days later the newspaper front page shows 11 gw sharks on the surface in a 4km area. The article then continues to state that with all those sharks (not forgetting those that weren't swimming close to the surface!!!) that close to the beach, really goes to show that gw's don't consider us food!!! Else there'd be way more attacks. :hmm :hmm

Anycase, we were out spearing at the point on Sunday, together with about 6 other boats, also spearing and about 40 commercial fishing boats. Those commercial fisherman are a FAR greater threat than any GW. They don't seem to know what a white and blue divers flag is!!!!

Oh, the viz. as 5m and water temp. 20degress. Almost everybody shot there allotted 10 yellowtail. Reasoning being, with all that fish around, surely them GW's must be stuffed and not care about spearo's with sharp pointy objects!!! Well, thats MY reasoning anyway!!! :hmm :hmm

Regards
miles

Miles: its nice to see that south african media downplays the situation instead of creating a hype. in other places the media would create a hype and it would be really tragic because it would set back conservation efforts years.

kudos to you SA boys ;)

Its the general thought back home for surfers and swimmers alike. I may, or I may not, get taken by a shark.

It's the risk you take, after all, it's their home!

The only country i have really seen hype about shark attacks is the US. Perhaps I am wrong.

There's no great hype about it in West Aussie, we just get attacked a lot. :vangry

nThe chances in Australia are 50 to 1
nIn South Africa 600 to 1
nIn the USA 1000 to 1

nFACT: Aussie sharks are not more aggressive than any other world sharks, the fact is that Aussie coastal dwellers are water babies. There are more people entering the water therefore more chance of attack.

Ref: “Shark Smart” – Richard Martin.
(www.reefquest.com)

Attachments

• SharksMayBePresent.gif
    SharksMayBePresent.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
island_sands said:
Its the general thought back home for surfers and swimmers alike. I may, or I may not, get taken by a shark.

It's the risk you take, after all, it's their home!

The only country i have really seen hype about shark attacks is the US. Perhaps I am wrong.

that is what i meant, i just didnt want to point out any country in poarticular, but yes,, im sure everyone here remembers the media frenzy a few years back : The Summer of the Shark...

We had a Black December in the late 70s..
Durban, South Africa's most popular holiday city, installed nets in 1952 following a series of shark attacks, several of which were fatal. The city suffered no more serious attacks, but several netless resorts a short way off did. During one horrific period known as "Black December," five people died in shark attacks over a 107-day stretch, from Christmas 1957 to Easter 1958.

read more
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/06/0603_020604_shark2.html

yes and thereafter the Natal Shark board was formed ;)
i did a 35 page report on great whites, tigers and bulls for AP Bio. back when i was a kid in highschool (LOL)

Quite right Island Sands Aussies are water babies that is why we have a strong Olympic swimming team. When you get in the water here you swim like the clappers and get out quick before yur butt gets bit off.

Poida said:
Oh forgot to mention Island Sands us Aussies taste better.

Or you smell ;)

Which is why the GW can pinpoint Aussies from a distance rofl

Poida said:
Quite right Island Sands Aussies are water babies that is why we have a strong Olympic swimming team. When you get in the water here you swim like the clappers and get out quick before yur butt gets bit off.
I guess that puts you in line with the South Africans then ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT