• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greater Amberjack 45kg!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
45 Kilos in 20 years is not bad ;) I saw exactly like that one on Azores at about 6 meter range - would not come any closer. A scary looking powerful fish. Congratulations!

45 Kilos in 20 years is not bad I saw exactly like that one on Azores at about 6 meter range - would not come any closer. A scary looking powerful fish. Congratulations!
Thank you very much Vrokhlenko!Wish you find and shoot one of these without having to wait 20years! ;)

Thanks! But I eat what I kill and I do not eat much! Even a 4 kilo one makes me very happy! The largest AJ I got was a 10-kilo one at 17 meters and it took me more than 2 minutes to come up with it. I forgot about my reel in all that excitement and only started using it after probably 1 minute into the dive :) right after I was about to cut the shooting line because I could not come up to the surface!

Same here!
If you spend some time over my channel,you ll see many Catch and Cook videos with tasty recipes!The AJ was also eaten with friends and family,part of it in the video.
Always use the reel,it’s for your own safety!!!
Cheers

Reactions: SubSub
Thanks, looking for a new reel line at the moment! Good ones are expensive :(

Greeks make good stuff, even customizable carbon fins (XT Power)! However I am in the USA so I can only lick my chops. Most my purchases are made blindly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Sad part - Greece is overfished :(. I was there twice (Korfu) and I only saw barracudas, mullet and bass. But I was out of shape back then.

Magnificent fish. I’m curious why divers in the Med always seem to use floppers. In the US I think most divers would use a slip tip for fish that size and it might not have left you with just a piece of skin holding. I think divers in the US would be more likely to be using a breakaway float line for fish that big too. It’s interesting how equipment varies in different areas.

Reactions: SubSub
Greeks make good stuff, even customizable carbon fins (XT Power)! However I am in the USA so I can only lick my chops. Most my purchases are made blindly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Sad part - Greece is overfished :(. I was there twice (Korfu) and I only saw barracudas, mullet and bass. But I was out of shape back then.
Ευχαριστώ my friend!I have been using the Greek made Meister F1 for many years and i consider them to be the best fins around having tried almost every blade around here...but all Greek freediving-spearfishing products are considered top of the line globally!
During summer is the worst period to fish...Just about the first 15days or June are good and then fish move way deep because of constant boat movement and many spearos.

Magnificent fish. I’m curious why divers in the Med always seem to use floppers. In the US I think most divers would use a slip tip for fish that size and it might not have left you with just a piece of skin holding. I think divers in the US would be more likely to be using a breakaway float line for fish that big too. It’s interesting how equipment varies in different areas.
I wasn't expecting a fish that size actually...but these double flopper shafts can handle fish of that size.
The rubbers where not cut correctly and the gun was actually shooting with theforce of a semi-roller.
I corrected the rubbers after that.
I used a floadline and a breakaway system to shoot this tuna...but these fish are actually the only reason we would use such a system over here...

Ευχαριστώ my friend!I have been using the Greek made Meister F1 for many years and i consider them to be the best fins around having tried almost every blade around here...but all Greek freediving-spearfishing products are considered top of the line globally!
During summer is the worst period to fish...Just about the first 15days or June are good and then fish move way deep because of constant boat movement and many spearos.
Well, I have been at 32 meters in plastic Mares Avante tre and currently use Mares Razor Carbon with the stiffened part that goes into the footpocket (added a 0.5 mm carbon fiber layer). My major requirement for the fins - no cramps! I could swim 1000 yards butterfly kick no arms/no fins in 20 minutes and dive 50 meters butterfly kick no arms/fins so I believe your strength and technique are more important than the blade. Moreover those suggestions by manufacturers that the heavier you are - the stiffer the fins you need are wrong and dangerous. I am 118 kilos currently so I should know :) Fins have to be medium stiffness at best, just larger people have to have a bit larger fins.
As far s Greek fins - I hear great stories about Meister and Alchemy. Unfortunately they are designed for a pathos footpocket which I have never seen in my life. Also I have to pay VAT AND shipping ordering form Greece which is more than 80 Euros in total. I can not justify that for a blind purchase!
There are now EXCELLENT Ukrainian/Turkish blades called Deep Master that cost $200. Professional deep divers in Mexico use them and love them. These guys routinely shoot groupers 25+ kilo at depth 30+ meters and they got those fins from the manufacturer. I will try to get them next on my next trip to Ukraine.

Hey Bill,

I think it has to to with the fact that catching a fish this size is fairly uncommon in the Med. Most catches are much smaller, and therefore it’s more convenient with a flopper spear. :)

Tell me about it. The summer is the time of year when I have the possibility to spend some time in Greece. If I’m lucky i get a week or som in Oct / Nov.

But yeah, summer means deep and sketchy fish which make it even more interesting for a noob like me! [emoji28][emoji4]

Well, I have been at 32 meters in plastic Mares Avante tre and currently use Mares Razor Carbon with the stiffened part that goes into the footpocket (added a 0.5 mm carbon fiber layer). My major requirement for the fins - no cramps! I could swim 1000 yards butterfly kick no arms/no fins in 20 minutes and dive 50 meters butterfly kick no arms/fins so I believe your strength and technique are more important than the blade. Moreover those suggestions by manufacturers that the heavier you are - the stiffer the fins you need are wrong and dangerous. I am 118 kilos currently so I should know :) Fins have to be medium stiffness at best, just larger people have to have a bit larger fins.
As far s Greek fins - I hear great stories about Meister and Alchemy. Unfortunately they are designed for a pathos footpocket which I have never seen in my life. Also I have to pay VAT AND shipping ordering form Greece which is more than 80 Euros in total. I can not justify that for a blind purchase!
There are now EXCELLENT Ukrainian/Turkish blades called Deep Master that cost $200. Professional deep divers in Mexico use them and love them. These guys routinely shoot groupers 25+ kilo at depth 30+ meters and they got those fins from the manufacturer. I will try to get them next on my next trip to Ukraine.

Ι tottaly agree with you on the fins!But spearfishing needs stiffer blades than just freediving for many diff reasons!
I'm using MS for the F1 blades and that's the stiffness given to people over 85-90kg and im only 76.
That's because i was a swimmer for over 15years and i have the strenght and technique to fully utilise the blades.
The F1 blades can also be used with Mares,Omer and Beauchat from what i know.I have been selling Meister products at my Spearfishing Life e-shop and i know about Vat etc...sadly that goes both was for us here in Greece when it comes to buying something over here...
Deep master was a company that dissapeared as fast as it appeared here in Greece and i dont think they were actually making suits and blades.They where buying from other manufacturers.
Most people in Greece are actually fishing below the 30m depth but most of them are doing it using weights to take them down and not constant weights.That way they are actually using their fins just for an easy ascent since they have 0-3kg on the belt.That's why you see them using really soft blades.
But try diving with 4-5kg constant weights to 40-50m with those soft fins...
From what i have felt...i could hardly get into negative buoyancy and i was struggling to swim back up into positive buoyancy!

Ι tottaly agree with you on the fins!But spearfishing needs stiffer blades than just freediving for many diff reasons!
I'm using MS for the F1 blades and that's the stiffness given to people over 85-90kg and im only 76.
That's because i was a swimmer for over 15years and i have the strenght and technique to fully utilise the blades.
The F1 blades can also be used with Mares,Omer and Beauchat from what i know.I have been selling Meister products at my Spearfishing Life e-shop and i know about Vat etc...sadly that goes both was for us here in Greece when it comes to buying something over here...
Deep master was a company that dissapeared as fast as it appeared here in Greece and i dont think they were actually making suits and blades.They where buying from other manufacturers.
Most people in Greece are actually fishing below the 30m depth but most of them are doing it using weights to take them down and not constant weights.That way they are actually using their fins just for an easy ascent since they have 0-3kg on the belt.That's why you see them using really soft blades.
From what i have felt...i could hardly get into negative buoyancy and i was struggling to swim back up into positive buoyancy!
I have been a swimmer for 49 years now! My major concern is cramping since I hunt alone and sometimes swim 1.5km each way to the place where I hunt. Hard blades are dangerous and require smaller amplitude and thus flexible feet. Like I said those recommendations for a correlation between stiffness and weight are misleading. You have to try the fins and decide for yourself. Yes, when I come from deep in my Mares the first few kicks do not give me much propulsion but I gladly trade it for the ability to swim 3 km and avoid cramps. I also do not believe in the theory of how rails affect the blades and that lower rails are important for keeping water from 'sliding' off the blades. It is all horseshit. But what is important it the stiffness of the footpocket's bottom. When I glued an extra layer of the carbon fiber to my blades in the area that goes inside footpocket I felt that my blades became more efficient. I also devised my own system of preventing the blade from sliding out of footpocket because what Mares provides is crappy and so are the clips that attach end of footpocket rails to the blade's rails. I replaced them with modified paper clips. I travel with my blades separate from the footpocket so I do not want to have a glue-on option like Pathos has. So if I ever get a Meister blade that is not drilled I would have to do it myself.
As far as Deepmaster. I believe the fins are made in Turkey but the guy who owns the company is a former Ukrainian criminal and a sponsor of the Ukrainian spearfishing team. I believe that presently he is involved in the military fighting (the Ukrainian situation is messy) so the brand is not actively promoted Nevertheless the gear is available - blades go for $200 US and they are as good as anything else available out there. I trust people who spearfish for a living and routinely hunt below 30 meters with constant weight. Hunting in Mexico is very difficult since the water is extremely clear (40 meters plus horizontally) and a lot of sun that messes with your vision, your head and confuses you on the proximity of the objects. And these guys rave about Deepmaster.

Oh, you have a cool website! Meister Sport blades priced OK! How are they different from F1 and Evo? And where are you located? I was in touch with a guy named Bargaui from Greece and he actually knew how to get fish!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT