• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Green Newbie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kyle

Jun 4, 2003
Whats up everyone..........Im new to the freediving sport,and the spearfishing sport. Im not sure where to start asking questions, and its all, im sure, easy stuff to answer. I will start with a few here and see what happens. While I am sitting or driving my car, I can hold my breath for 60 seconds, then my legs get extremely fatigued, any my heart starts pounding. Is this normal for a newbie? What track should I start on to improve my breath holds while in action? I am not in shape at all, and Im a bit overweight. 6'2" 230 lbs.
Thanks in advance everyone!

PS. I SCUBA all year long, but the thought of holding my breath and going down 40 feet or so is just impossible at this time.

Welcome to this site of riches.

Ask loopy about the freediving lark he's a good lad as for trying it in the car, well just dont crash. The claim form will be unreadable :D

I also forgot to add something a bit important. Im a smoker. How many of you here were/are smokers that freedive? If I quit smoking, what different type of training will I need to put myself through?
I need a smoke now.
Thanks again everyone!

Oh yeah, please go easy on me, I know Im a bad boy.

Oh boy...

First of all, congrats for starting on freediving, you won`t regret it. But then, i have to tell you two things: Stop smoking and go for some jogging on a regular basis!

It`s difficult `to go easy on you` because having a good working pair of lungs and being in shape is crucial here in this sport. Not that you have go on marathons or so but you will have to change some things... I was a smoker as well and now as I`m down to a minimum of fags, my lungs feel much (say MUCH) better. I first did not want to quit just reduce, but now it`s clear that I will have to give it up! Get in shape, not only for the sport but for your own interest...

I recommend that you just go for a dive, it really helps getting the will to change ones livestyle! The first dive I did was terrible, i felt I wanted to be down in the blue, that I would enjoy it there, but i just could not stay down longer than some 15-20 seconds. That is now a year ago, then I made this decision when i saw `ocean men`and now I am a freediver since a month and am able to hold my breath for about 4 minutes. My first real breath hold lasted 1:17. You see, you just have to want it...

For training tips, just browse these forums here ( the old threads as well), you`ll find plenty of useful information. It all in your head, DO IT!

Well, as for my part I can only wish you good luck, and repeat to say that it`s worth going through all the required changements!

Best wishes, Joe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT