• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greeting from the Bahamas!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lorelie

Feb 4, 2017
I only live in the Bahamas during the winter, but all my diving is here. I live on a trimaran in Exuma, the rest of the year in western Massachusetts. My family enjoys free diving, spear fishing and general snorkeling. I'm the hunter aboard, so I'm always interested in getting deeper, staying longer, and having enough energy to struggle with a fish on the way up...
Anyone else in the Georgetown area, look us up: s/v Voyager, Exuma registered Searunner 37 trimaran.

Welcome to Deeperblue! It sounds like you're living the dream. Have you taken a freediving class? That's the best way to improve your diving technique and your safety.

How is it living aboard the trimaran? I lived on a 41' monohull for a little over a year. A good experience, but it isn't the life for me.

It's fabulous to live on the water! She's a great sea boat, fast, safe and kind. It's a small space for a family though. The reefs here aren't what they used to be, but still there's food to be found.
I'd love to take a class sometime. I've been diving since I was 8, and I'm careful because it's hard to spearfish with anyone too close by. There's always a temptation to go in to a crevice just a little further, but if your spear catches or whatever, it's just not worth the risk. In the Bahamas only the Hawaiian sling is legal.
I've always wanted to go down into one of the blue holes on Long Island but haven't yet.

Welcome to DB! Batray is right, enjoy it.

Another DBer who has done what you are doing. I loved it. We spent too much time in Georgetown(the anchor tends to grow to the bottom if you stay more than 3 days.). Wonderful place and people. I go back to dive the Bahamas for a week or three every year, never get enough.

Have you explored the north end of Long Island, Joe Sound, the heads out in front, Conception? The wall there is incredible freedivng.

You have a fine boat; Brown designed good ones.

Might want to reconsider buddy spearfishing. In the Bahamas, with its water clarity, I've found that working a tight buddy team (assuming you have another decent shooter) actually puts more fish in the boat. Thats especially true today with fewer and more wary fish.

Connor

I'm sure the type of boat makes a huge difference. Mine is a race boat designed and built by the firms responsible for two America's Cup winners. She is a well-built boat, but I would never call her comfortable.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT