• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

meggomac

Feb 8, 2019
Hi everybody! My name is Meghan, and I'm a sophomore double majoring in environmental sciences and society & environment at the University of California, Berkeley. My home is in Chicago but I decided to take on a new place for undergrad. I have been scuba open water certified for some years, and I just took a freediving class a few months ago. I love scuba but I'm really interested in practicing freediving as I'm very much an amateur with a PR of only 40ft. I still need to get a 7mm wetsuit for the cold ocean water here but I would love to find some buddies to practice with! Also if anybody has recommendations for a good wetsuit or good dive places, please let me know!

Hello From TN! Polosub Has some fantastic Wetsuits You should Check them Out :)

Welcome to the forum Meghan.

7mm for California? Do feel the cold particularly? I dive in the UK, most folk here get 5mm spearo wetsuit (i.e. opencell against the skin, hood and high waist pants or long john pants), although some further north in Scotland, or diving in winter go for 7mm*. I mention this because there are some drawbacks to thicker wetsuits: they usually cost more, they have more buoyancy, so you need to carry more lead weights, and you can get too hot, esp. when out of the sea.

We have quite a lot of members in California, including staff members BatRay and BillMcIntyre, who may be able to provide more local insight though.

*We have found that some people do benefit from - or need - thicker wetsuits. Typically they come from warmer climes (which Chicago is not - I used to live there :D) or they have low body fat (my son really feels the cold) or perhaps have a slow metabolish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT